What would you do...?

I recently cracked my intake manifold (long story, see other posts), and am in the process of shopping for a new manifold and carb. I see two options:

1) Buy a new Edelbrock air-gap manifold and new 600 or 650 carb.

*or*

2) Buy a new dual-quad manifold and add a second 500 Edelbrock carb (to match my existing 1403).

I'm already in the process of adding an MSD ignition, and will upgrade the fuel pump, as well.

Pros? Cons?

[This is a '67 with a 289/302]
 
Ya know, they now make an air gap dual quad intake. I'm going to swap mine out when I get home in June, I think. That's the plan any way!

How much cam have you got in it now? A single 650 on an air gap will run much better for you, unless you're into the throttle enough to use the 2X4's.

As far as the MSD goes, I'd suggest using a Ford Duraspark distributor, and an MSD 6A box. On a street motor, I don't think the expense is justified. I put the complete MSD(dist,box,wires,coil) in my 69, and the duraspark in my 68. For the money, Duraspark is the way to go.
 
If this is a street car just get an Edelbrock RPM with a 600 vacumn secondary Holley. This will take you to 6000 rpm with no problem and you will never notice a difference in the "below 1500 rpm advantage" the Performer says it has. I think 2-4's on a small motor steet car is a waste.
 
1000 CFM at wide open throttle. The kit comes with a progressive linkage, so you run on the 'primary' 500 cfm 4V (the one in the rear), and then when you get after it, the second-ary (other 4V) comes online.
 
No matter the total cfm rating for the 2x4, it's not 1000 cfm. When you double the number of carb throats, the rated cfm's for a single carb is moot. They will only flow what the motor draws thru them. I don't know what your motor's build consists of, but if you decide to go dual fours, take the time to learn to tune the carbs. It will not be a "bolt on and go" sort of thing. If you don't tune the carbs to the motor, you'll never be happy with it. Two smaller carbs would be even better (like Holley 390's) but unfortunately Edelbrock chose to design their 2x4 intakes to where you cannot use Holleys and as far as I know their 500's are their smallest rated carbs. The only way to use two Holleys would be to use twin 2 bbls by way of 4 bbl to 2 bbl adapters.
 
edelbrocks and holleys have the same bolt pattern, except the edelbrock also bolts on to a smaller bolt pattern.... is that what the dual quad intake requires?
 
They both bolt to the same pattern on the intake, but a Holley 4 bbl carb is longer than an Edelbrock/Carter 4 bbl carb. The Edelbrock carb pads are too close to each other to bolt two Holleys inline together. Offenhauser did the same thing with their 2x4 intakes.
 
There's room, Ford sold an over the parts counter intake that mounted twin Holleys on a small block. Mustangs Unlimited sells a repop of this setup.(and the 3x2 repop as well) Granted, the rear carb is farther back on the intake with the Holley spacing, but it does work.
 
:rlaugh: 2x4's aren't a "NEED", they're a "WANT" You get more WOW factor when you pop the hood and they other guys see multiple carbs.:nice: With a 3x2, I believe the overall performance is better than a single four, better throttle response, better fuel distribution, plus the WOW factor.

Preaching to the choir on 'want' vs 'need'

I always 'want' to go faster....and in my applications, the single works better for me and allows me to have a good mix of street and strip performance in the same package.

Changing the intake and using MSD is not enough to use a 2x4 setup IMO. You need to change the cam to support the different power band and then it is a domino to possibly the rear, the tranny, etc...
 
If you want the 'wow' factor, I would go with a repop 3x2 or 2x4.
Repop intake with the Holley carbs.

If you want to go back with a 4v intake, I would use a Holley carb no matter what!
They are so much better than the Federal Mogul (TRW) built Carters with an Edelbrock label.

The best quality I have seen on a new intake in a long time was my neighbor's Wieand Stealth he just got for his 302. Stellar quality.
The worst was pics of a Summit knock off of the E'brock RPM (Stage 3???). Looked like little kids cast it in playdoh.
 
If you want the 'wow' factor, I would go with a repop 3x2 or 2x4.
Repop intake with the Holley carbs.

I agree to a point, but if you really, really want "wow factor," how about four downdraft Webers?

HPIM0722.webp


Or maybe eight stacks of Hilborn injection?

hilborn1.webp


On a cammer. :D