What's a good suspension setup?

• Sponsors (?)

Whatever you do, stick to the same manufacturer, all Steeda, all Eibach, all whatever.

Please don't speak anymore in this thread. You have no idea what you are talking about.

That being said, Maximum Motorsports has some GREAT products. You cannot go wrong with that company. But you really need to think about your cars future. If it's a daily driver, your not going to want a drag strip suspension. The car would ride very rough, and probably won't be the most comfortable.

my ride is very rough, but i love it. i can spank my coworkers 04 M3 and S2000 through some very twisty roads. usually sticking with one manufacturer is ideal, everything on my car is from MM, but there are some other stuff from other manufacturers that i will get.

Dear 98 stang, with all due respect, I don't know who made you the suspension authority of the entire galaxy.:bs:
You can cob dozens of parts from different manufacturers together and make it work, some guys race that way, but for most non hard core street applications, I would stick with one manufacturer, this insures that all the parts are compatible, which in the long run, you'll be happier with.
BTW, I didn't recomend one company over another, there's plenty of decent people out there, If road racing is your thing, then I would go with a comapny that had a road racing background, such as Steeda, Maximum and several others, since Steeda is across the state from me, I like to deal with them.

so maximum motorsports is really good? i was looking to spend about 500 on parts starting off with just shocks/struts and springs. Are struts hard to put on the front? someone told me it has shocks up front stock, i haven't taken a look yet

Some of the best handling and hooking cars out there use different brand suspension/chassis components.

[URL="http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1"http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1]Maximum Motorsports Packaged Systems[/URL]

Before you buy one component from anyone, ask yourself, what is the car going to be used for. If it's one thing, focus on that. If it's a dual use or multiple use car, street/strip, street/road race, etc..., then know that whatever you do, it will be a compromise and you have to decide how much compromise you want. After you decided that, then you have to define your budget. Don't start down a road with a partial system that you can't complete. Have a realistic plan.

I have a system put together from multiple vendors but I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on testing each change on a road course or drag strip. Each mistake you make gets expensive and I'm on my third front end setup.

Given that, here is my general rule of thumb based only on my experience, nobody else's. In addition, my goals are probably different than everyone else on this board other than 3-4 people. Given that, here is my suggestion for a multi-use street/strip/road race car that can be used as a daily driver and you have a budget of $1000. If your budget is more than that, just extend it appropriately.

First off, forget the concept of doing strip and road racing. At your budget level, the only option you have is adjustable shocks. Drag racing is whatever your car does when it gets there. Road racing or better handling street car requires a stiffer suspension with little rear-end squat. Drag-racing is the opposite. However, anything you do to keep the axle aligned will help drag racing. Other than that, focus on how much compromise you want to give up on the ride quality to get better handling on the road course or street. If you are primarily drag-racing, that suspension/shock set up won't work on a road course very well.

My suggestion on handling kits are stick with Steeda for a car that's 90% or more on the road and your budget is less than $1000. If you want the best handling and have a medium budget, my suggestion is a k-member, coil-overs, springs, new shocks (adjustable preferably, Koni's would be my preference but Tokicos are a good budget option), rear control arms, and new anti-sway bars, front and back. If I was doing all that, I would go Maximum. Stay away from D&D coilovers. Mu suggestion is for a $2000 suspension that spends 99% of it's time on the street. From there, you can get real serious with Maximum with Panhard Bars, Torque arms, etc...

One other thing, keep in mind how much horsepower you are putting out because that also affects the suspension.

I have a limited budget, and i was thinking of going with the FRPP handling kit (from the Bullitt). other than that, what are some good suspension setups that you guys have been using?

H&R Race or SuperRace, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates, with Bilstein Struts/Shocks would be one good combo IF you want to do it right. I bought the bullitt suspension kit and ripped it off after a year - more of a stock replacement than a very noticable upgrade.

Wade

H&R Race or SuperRace, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates, with Bilstein Struts/Shocks would be one good combo IF you want to do it right. I bought the bullitt suspension kit and ripped it off after a year - more of a stock replacement than a very noticable upgrade.

Wade

You and me had the same experience Wade.

Bought it because I got it cheap. It did it's intended job for the time, but I took it out last year as it just wasn't performing up to my then current needs.

Current set up is:
H&R SS
Bils
MM CC Plates
MM PHB
MM LCA
MM FL SFC

Only thing left to do is the T/A and then to the front.