What's going on with my car?

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
Yesterday, I noticed there is a puddle of antifreeze under my car. It's not under the radiator or any hoses, but under the block.
I thought it was a freeze plug, the last one in the side of the block that I can't see or reach. But the motor is only about 15 months old, and I've never run straight water, so I know it's not rusted.

Today I put about 3/4 of a gallon of water in it and let it set there until it got to 190 degrees, thinking that surely if there's a leak, it will leak with the car warmed up. I even held it a 2k rpm's to build up pressure.
Nothing. No leaks. Not a drop.

What's the deal?
Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Could Be As Simple As The Intake Bolts Are A Little Loose And It Is Able To Seep Out When It Is Cold And The Is More Clearance Between The Gasket And The Head Or Intake. I A Similar Leak And It Was A Slightly Loose Intake Bolt.

mine leaks out of the rubber overflow hose that goes out the filler neck and down the side of the radiator. ITs common on old Stangs. THey sell a thin coolant recovery bottle that can mount in the small space along side the radiator to help stop coolant loss. If its coming from the intake, then ignore this post.

68stang351 said:
Yesterday, I noticed there is a puddle of antifreeze under my car. It's not under the radiator or any hoses, but under the block.
I thought it was a freeze plug, the last one in the side of the block that I can't see or reach. But the motor is only about 15 months old, and I've never run straight water, so I know it's not rusted.

Today I put about 3/4 of a gallon of water in it and let it set there until it got to 190 degrees, thinking that surely if there's a leak, it will leak with the car warmed up. I even held it a 2k rpm's to build up pressure.
Nothing. No leaks. Not a drop.

What's the deal?
Any ideas?

It could be the sending unit for the engine temperature guage (or idiot light).. They tend to leak sometimes.