whats needed to change rear end seal?

Slapyo

Admin Dude
Feb 8, 2003
Anaheim, CA
i think the rear end on my 03 gt is leaking. i was wondering how you change it and what parts/tools are required.

i think you just remove the cover, let the fluid drain. then put the cover back on and fill it back up till the fuild comes out of the fill hole. i'm not sure if it is a gasket seal i need to go buy or if it is some kind of liquid gasket. also what type of fluid do i fill it back up with?

it's been leaking slow for about a week now, and i tried to tighten the bolts but they were already tight. is there a possibility that this could be something else?

• Sponsors (?)

Don't use the gasket. I have seen rear ends blown up from really badly leaking cover seals.

From the factory these cars are sealed with black RTV and thats what you should use to reseal it.

You want to fill it with 75-140 synth fluid with a tiny bit of friction modifier. use just enough to stop the clutches from chattering. OHHH one last thing fill it until it's about 1/4 inch bellow the hole.

ya, i think it's coming from the differential cover. started leaking out of no where. i've only had the opportunity to see the small puddles under the car and to see some sort of fluid dripping off of the rear end. i suppose i will go pick up that stuff and redo the seal and hopefully that works.

thanks for the info. if this doesn't solve the problem i'll be back heh.

any tips for filling it up? also, how do i tell it is about 1/4" below the hole ... i thought it was a small hole in the side and you just filled it till it started to come out.
You're gonna have to finger the hole to check the fluid level. ;)
at work its easy to pour in when its up on the air :D .....but when i do diferential work at home i actually have a little manual pump to put the fluid in
Those pumps are the same ones commonly used for fluid extraction, correct?