Whats the biggest cam a stock 5.0 can hold help

BarefootPainter

Jan 17, 2013
As it says I need to ow the biggest cam I can put in a stock 5.0 bottom end and stock heads without doing
Major valve work.granted I know springs lifters and poss pushrods halfta be changed accordingly.but I love the sound of the z cam so what's ur guys suggestions any and all appreciated.cars a 5 speed with. 1.95 gear set 373's msd hvc ignition box and coil same setup NASCAR uses aluminum intake and Holley carb.havent got the intake yet wanted to get the cam first and go from there.thanks guys and all input is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

:nonono: Son, son, son... The biggest cam you can ram in your block with stock heads and pistons is gonna run like poo, not to mention there are about a hundred definitions of big cam. You are gonna end up with a top end cam and intake with a bottom end bottle neck head. Think about what you are looking to achieve and come back for answers.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok ha halfway expected that answer after I read what I posted.car will be a daily driver but I halfta say my commute mileage wise is not far.im leaning towards one of the frpp cams either the e cam or f cam because I've heard great things about their power gains and drive ability.i want sumthin that will hit and sound rather nice and go along with what I've got as listed above.so which one of the frpp cams would u recommend that'll still give me the sound I want.

If you are just looking for sound plus a few hp go with a trick flow stage 1 or a n-41 cam ...both are good cams and will work. Also if you install heads later these cams will work good with GT40 heads and trick flow heads without problems.

The stage 1 cam specs are 221/225 duration 499/510 lift and will work with stock heads aftermarket trick flow heads and GT40 heads without problems. Also you will not have any problems with piston to valve clearance..and i think the n-41 cam has a lift of 512 and that will work with stock pistons. You need to use better than stock valve springs and you may want use harden pushrods.

Why are you looking to change cams? I've made 11's with the stock cam. What is the rest of your setup. Heads, induction, compression, etc. Throwing a big lift or duration cam at an otherwise stock setup is not only foolish, but will result in poor drivabillity and performance.

a buddy of mine has a stock head/intake car with an f cam. sounds like a stock car and makes a whopping 150 to the wheels. My ram truck would outrun it on a regular basis.
Keep the stocker unless you are upgrading the top end as well.

he said it was a 5 speed.

in all honesty unless your doing heads keep the stock cam and work on other bolt-ons. cold air intake, larger TB, Intake manifold, full exhaust should be your first steps if you dont have the basics your already wasting your time.

also where is this nascar crap coming from? are you driving a race car?

You might as well wait and do a whole top end kit if you really wanna stick with the stock bottom end. If you just throw a big cam in it you wont get the performance you want plus the valves will just end up floating.

Running a t5 wit a stage 2 clutch and 195 gear set.been looking into heads now and I'm looking at a set of either Doug Herbert heads or performer rpm's bc I can pick em fairly cheap brand new through a friend of mine.hut yes for now the bottom end will stay stock until I build a 347.

If you are gonna tear it down to install a cam at least toss a set of gt40's on that bad boy..

Go get a McDonald's straw and suck as hard as you can... That's what you'll be doing to your car.

Reactions: 1 users
im going to suggest you do a lot of reading and research. before you spend thousands of dollars to have a 300 hp car you need to do your research and read around and not buy anything untill youve come up with a end goal/ hp and build accordingly.

1.95 gear set in a 8.8 - never heard of that ratio. Even if you did put a cam in a stock motor (bad idea) you'll need 3.55 gears or lower.

The FRPP "letter" cams are the most outdated hydraulic roller cams available for the 5.0 - there's a lot better options available with split durations.

1.95 gear set??? wtf???
who makes a 1.95 gear set for a T5?
this is the point where im going to come off like an ******* and im ok with that. do you have ANY idea what the hell your doing?