Whats the deal...my car revs straight to 6250!!

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
I know most stock 5.0's like mine are not supose to rev straight to the rev limiter. My car is a freak of nature. Most 5.0's I know have problems revving and they seem to not all be there when they are stock, no one ever belioves me that my car revs straight to the rev limiter, I think I have an abnormally strong car...hm...anyways, can anyone explain this posisbly. If I am not paying attention and rem it in first it will hit the limiter if I dont pay attention, but people tell me there is no way possible with a stock motor, how comes my car does rev that hi? I dont think it has a cam, I bought it 5 years ago and the only thing it had was flomasters welded in place of the stock mufflers and no air silncer, i dont think the owne would have had the knowledge tio put a cam in since it was all stock, some people told me I could have 1.7 rockers....anyone know? I think its stock, just half a freak

• Sponsors (?)

When I first bought my 5.0L Stang it was pretty much stock, and it reved cleanly past 6000RPM(Hit 6300RPM) Although I discovered that by accident twice. Once missed a shift, and the other time spinning in second it reved up so fast I didn't shift fast enough. (No I'm not a bad driver, I had just bought the car and had no experience) Anyway when your spinning or missing a shift like I did there is not as much load on the engine and there is alot of momentum so it should easily rev up that high without a problem. As for the rev limiter I don't even know when the computor start's cutting out spark on a 5.0L. Does anyone know?

You will notice that in first and second (especially if your car has gears) that you will hit 6,000 pretty quick. By third you will notice that once you hit 5K that it seems to take a lot longer for the engine to get to 6K (if you have stock intake). That's where the stock intake/heads start to hurt the engine's top end.

billheis said:
I just installed Auto Meter tach and when the auto meter is at 5400 (wher I shift) the factory tach in the dash is bouncing off of 6500. Dont trust that factory gauge

I know my tach's off, but I know its hitting the limiter when its bouncying off it, its at 6250....thanx for the info....most people didnt blive a stock motord fox would rev like that

408stroker5.0 said:
When I first bought my 5.0L Stang it was pretty much stock, and it reved cleanly past 6000RPM(Hit 6300RPM) Although I discovered that by accident twice. Once missed a shift, and the other time spinning in second it reved up so fast I didn't shift fast enough. (No I'm not a bad driver, I had just bought the car and had no experience) Anyway when your spinning or missing a shift like I did there is not as much load on the engine and there is alot of momentum so it should easily rev up that high without a problem. As for the rev limiter I don't even know when the computor start's cutting out spark on a 5.0L. Does anyone know?

The factory rev limiter is at 6250rpm,and its not cutting spark its cuuting the fuel.

Have you ever checked to see what gears are in it BlownStang? Just count how many times the drive shaft turns with one turn of the rear wheels. Dont forget to make sure they're both turning, and not just one side. 3.55's will turn the drive shaft a hair past 3 and a half turns, while 4.10's will turn the driveshaft a bit past 4 turns. I'm sure you might know this, but just in case some one else wanted to know how to do it.

CobraWannabe said:
Have you ever checked to see what gears are in it BlownStang? Just count how many times the drive shaft turns with one turn of the rear wheels. Dont forget to make sure they're both turning, and not just one side. 3.55's will turn the drive shaft a hair past 3 and a half turns, while 4.10's will turn the driveshaft a bit past 4 turns. I'm sure you might know this, but just in case some one else wanted to know how to do it.

2.73s in that mofo....with my autometer tach I cruised 70 at like 1750 or so, we checked before...Im getting 3.73s in june....its gonna be niutty!!!!!

Let's just say, if any of my cars DIDN'T hit the rev limiter when I floored it I would soon be tearing into it, to see what was broke!
Factory stangs give out around 5300-5500, taking it much past that will only slow you down.

They will all rev that high. The first time I went to the track I was shifting at 6k and my car ran 14.6-14.9 around 95. After I got to know my car and learned how to drive it to its potential I dropped shifting to around 5200 and dropped to 13.7 at 100.

Get it dynoed, that will show you how the power is falling off up there.

i remember reading something about the potential top speed of a stock Mustang with a 2.73 gear, i cant remember the facts but top speed would be something like 170+ if it werent for drag and the fact that the motor isnt powerful enough to push it that fast.