Whats the difference between 1990 2.3 and 1991 2.3 ?

Lex

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2004
Halifax NS. Canada
Ok. As I understand, In 1990 ford made the 2.3L from Carb to EFI. Which is what I have a 1990. However I'm still classed as a 88HP , BUT in 1991 they made the 2.3L a 105HP. Thats 17HP more. What is the difference. And can these be mods I can do to be equivilent to a 1991 engine? I noticed I don't have a MAF which started 1991 and after.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

'86 2.3n/a (and earlier) cars were carbed.

87-90 2.3n/a cars were fuel injected ~ and the most like the turbo versions so thus the easiest cars to do a turboswap

91-93 2.3n/a cars went to a dual plug head, MAF, roller cam, tad higher compression.

The only real plus that you would want to snag from a 91-93 is the roller cam. This would give you 5-10 hp more due to less parasitic drag.

Having a 90 vs a 91 is not a disadvantage. Advancing the timing is probably one of the nicest things you can do over the 91-93. Beyond that all the mods are pretty much the same between the two.

Toss the roller cam in it, advance the timing, you'll probably be at the same power.

There's a lot of threads with this information already.

Thanks man. Hmmm being here for a while and I never saw any info. I should look harder, I';m still confused about timing. Some people say advance it and others say retard it. I hate to do it wrong. I need to replace my valve seals so I will probally drop a roller cam in instead. As far as replacing a stock cam with a roller cam, do I have to replace anything else for the roller cam to work?

You advance the timing in your situation trust me. Stock is 10 degree's btdc. Shoot for 12-14 degree's. Go as high as you can (in moderation), listening for pinging (predet), set the timing just below that point. That means you've got to take it out and drive it between adjustment sessions.

If you put in a roller cam, you'll need the roller followers (rockers). That's it.

Awesome , Thanks. I haven't priced this up yet, but it shouldn't be too much more for a roller Vs a stock, considering its really not a performance part, just a part I would by if I had a 91 or higher. Thank you Roller Cam and Followers.

Yes, from what I hear, roller cams and followers dont really ever wear out. You could save yourself a lot of money and only hurt performance by the slightest, un-noticeable margine if you looked and got one from ebay or a Junkyard. Good luck.