Whats the secret to getting the lower control arm bolts out?

Anlushac11

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2001
Indianapolis, Indiana
Is their a secret Im not aware of that makes it easier to get the lower control arm bolts off the factory stock 25 year old rear end?

And what is the recommended prcocedure to get the upper A-arm bushings out? I was thinking a socket just smaller than the opening and whacking it with a hammer?

The lower bolts laughed at the air impact we had and we wound up using a air chisel to kinda vibrate and hammer the bolts out and this was on a '87 7.5" rear

Finally got my 8.8" disc brake rear with 5 lug 10" brakes and all the stuff to convert front to the 11" 5-lug front discs together and am almost ready to get stuff done.

I decided to wait til I get the new springs so I can drop them in while I have everything apart. Im also going with M-5300C springs and Im using SN95 front A-arms. Also still need to pick up some polyurethane front strut bump stops for the caster camber plates. Also need one rubber brake hose.

Im running about 4 months behind schedule but Im still moving forward...slowly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

MAP torch and impact hamer is an awesome combo. Watch the rubber bushings they tend to turn into flaming turds as they bounce accross the floor.

seriously use a MAP torch and ge the bolts red hot and then hit them with the impact gun. My 86 came right appart.

As far as getting the rubber out use the drill method and the bit will walk right arround the bushing to seperate it from the sleve. real easy.

You can accomplish anything with a big torch and a big hammer. It applies To any stuck rusted bolt, spray some WD-40 (or something like it) on the bolt a couple times and let it soak (can take hours and several sprays). IF that doesn't help bust out the torch. 5 minutes later, your bolts are out. But you'll need new bushings.

Just get a piece of pipe that fits over the end of your Good ratchet.....not too long unless your on a lift and pull. I know this works.....months ago I tried without the pipe over the ratchet handle an cursed and gave up. Have another wrench on the other side. I assure you this works as I dropped one out of a 4cyl days ago in about an hour. Getting the bolts out..........that is another story. If you have help....I sad to say did not, try turning as buddy whacks it out. I made a little rod for a jack and another bolt to wedge it out. Once it gets where you cannot hit it anymore put another bolt in to help drive it out. Having a jack under the side you are doing to help "wiggle" it around really helps as the bolts will bind if the axle is not supported and moves around on the other side cause it is heavy and the weight shifts on the u joints. just look at it as you are taking the bolts out and try to keep it level at all times to prevent bind on the bolts. Hope this helps.