Whats this mystery wire do ?

Ok guys, On my 1987 mustang gt there is a small black wire that shares a connection to the negative battery terminal what does it do for the car . My 1990 has the same wire. The wire also shares a ground with some sort of two piece snap together connector that is grounded to the chasiss . The connector has a black with green strip on its wire. The stinky little black wire melted on me today . I ran the car fine without this wire connected for awile after i re connected it back up the car will not start up again if i remove the little black wire . I noticed that the car will not start the dome light is dimmer now and the power door locks along with the window motors do not work if i remove the small black wire. I had this wire disconnected before around 2 months and never had any problems. I AM ON MY 3RD OPTIMA BATTERY. The cars battery will discharge in one day also. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The black plastic connector that shares the ground with the black wire that connects to the batter is the main computer ground. Maybe that isnt a good enough ground and is causing the problems you say you have. Maybe when your black wire melted you didnt get a good ground when you reconnected the computer ground and its effing up...
good luck. I know how you feel :bang:

DouglasOhio said:
The black plastic connector that shares the ground with the black wire that connects to the batter is the main computer ground.
from what you said, I agree with Douglas. the stock one will have a small plastic deal just off the ring terminal a few inches (looks like an old inline fuse holder for glass fuses).

good luck.

Thanks I never would have thought ford would ground the computer in that location. I replaced the wire and added a battery cutoff knob to the negative post. Is there any issues with disconecting the battery with a cut off knob since the computer memory will clear ? The car is my second vehicle and sits about 4 days a week.

i see no issues with a battery cut off, myself. you will just have to let the puter adapt again upon hooking it up.

you could hook up a trickle charger. I made a dealie for 2 bucks where i can hook up a 9 volt battery into the cig lighter. it works as long as you dont have a short (which toasts the 9 volt battery quick). :)