wheel bearing installation.

bottlfed92

Aug 16, 2004
Canada
Probably an easy answer to this....

I've recently purchased a pair of zinc coated slotted and cross drilled rotors. They didn't come with ewheel bearings.

Question: Do I have to get a shop to do this bearing installation? Or is it that easy just to do myself?

Thanks,

~Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

Super easy, unbolt wheels, calipers and pull your rotors and start pulling everything off, keep it in order, put the new stuff in the same way it slid off the spindles. Make sure you get new seals and use plenty of wheel bearing grease when you pack them. You know how to pack them? Just put a glob of grease in your left hand and hold the bearing in your right, hold the bearing out and slap it down onto your palm full of grease.

Keep it clean and lubed!:)

Actually what was said about the castle nut is not true. after you pack and install the wheel bearings you have to torque the castle nut to a specified value. This will seat the wheel bearings. Then you have to back the castle nut off and then just screw it on lightly. Check the secondary torque spec but i remember it being in inch pounds. Then install the cotter pin and make sure everything spins freely. If you do not seat the wheel bearings properly by torquing that castle nut you could run into some more serious problems! It pretty quick and simple...but have a Chilton's Manual near by for torque specs and pay close attention.

Actually what was said about the castle nut is not true. after you pack and install the wheel bearings you have to torque the castle nut to a specified value. This will seat the wheel bearings. Then you have to back the castle nut off and then just screw it on lightly. Check the secondary torque spec but i remember it being in inch pounds. Then install the cotter pin and make sure everything spins freely. If you do not seat the wheel bearings properly by torquing that castle nut you could run into some more serious problems! It pretty quick and simple...but have a Chilton's Manual near by for torque specs and pay close attention.

Thanks for the info, I am a self tought weekend mechanic and did not realize this......I don't want to be accused of giving bad advice. I bought the Chiltons and it has helped me through a few things, I guess I missed that part:bang:

Did it...DONE. Rotors are on.

322008_240_full.jpg

Thanks for the help, guys.

~Jeff