• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Wheel cleaner ruined my newly painted brakes

  • Thread starter Thread starter MineralG2k2GT
  • Start date Start date Apr 21, 2005

MineralG2k2GT

New Member
Feb 9, 2003
451
0
0
Lowell, MA
Apr 21, 2005
#1
  • Apr 21, 2005
  • #1
Over the weekend I painted by my brakes with the Duplicolor kit. Was easy to use, and they came out great....

Except I washed my car a week later and used a wheel cleaner that screwed them up.Now the paint is all messed up...

do you guys have any idea if there is a specific wheel cleaner that wouldnt ruin the paint or if its a specific chemical. It's a kick in the nuts cuase now I have to go back and paint them all over again
 
T

TenaciousD

Founding Member
Sep 15, 2001
320
0
0
Tampa,Fl
Apr 21, 2005
#2
  • Apr 21, 2005
  • #2
I just use soap and hot water to clean mine, I have never found a good wheel cleaner. what ever you used seem pretty abrasive, what was it?. I just tried Mothers chrome polish the other day and that also sucked, it left them dull and cloudy untill the next time a wahed them.
This company here makes the best car stuff ever(they supply Rolls Royce) I would like to get their wheel cleaner as I bet it rocks, I use most of their other product and swear by them all
http://www.autoglym.com/frame2.html
 

MineralG2k2GT

New Member
Feb 9, 2003
451
0
0
Lowell, MA
Apr 21, 2005
#3
  • Apr 21, 2005
  • #3
I called duplicolor and they said i did not let them cure long enough...apparently they need 5 days to cure.. i only waited three??

I just used the armorall wheel cleaner you buy at like walmart or autozone.....
 

TL1000S

New Member
Oct 2, 2004
69
0
0
South Florida
Apr 21, 2005
#4
  • Apr 21, 2005
  • #4
MineralG2k2GT said:
I called duplicolor and they said i did not let them cure long enough...apparently they need 5 days to cure.. i only waited three??

I just used the armorall wheel cleaner you buy at like walmart or autozone.....
Click to expand...
I sprayed some of that stuff on something anodized on accident and the anodized coating came right off...
 
D

DCBigpimpin

New Member
Jul 9, 2003
130
0
0
TN
Apr 21, 2005
#5
  • Apr 21, 2005
  • #5
Try this site here. They have some great products. I use the Luster Metal Sealant for Chrome & Aluminum wheels. It leaves a bling, bling shine everytime .
 
F

FalconGuy016

New Member
Oct 26, 2004
437
1
0
Northern VA
Apr 21, 2005
#6
  • Apr 21, 2005
  • #6
Yes, you have to let it cure for the full amount and then some. Anytime before its fully hardened it can get screwed up like that sorry
 

Joltergeist

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2002
50
0
0
Northern VA
Apr 21, 2005
#7
  • Apr 21, 2005
  • #7
MineralG2k2GT said:
I called duplicolor and they said i did not let them cure long enough...apparently they need 5 days to cure.. i only waited three??

I just used the armorall wheel cleaner you buy at like walmart or autozone.....
Click to expand...

If you have a space heater or simillar that might help during the recommended curing time. Not too close however, might damage the rubber.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
373
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
O
SOLD FS: 18" FR500 chrome wheels and Toyo tires
  • optionizerSS
  • May 21, 2026
  • Other Classifieds
Replies
1
Views
202
Other Classifieds Jun 2, 2026
optionizerSS
O
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
342
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
4 barrel air cleaner question
  • limp
  • Aug 2, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
875
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 28, 2024
limp
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?