Wheel Slippage?

mkas_2003

Oct 12, 2005
This might be a very stupid question, but is it possible (even common) for the rubber tire to slip on the wheel? The reason I ask is that I had new tires put on my 04 GT a couple months ago (I put the stock Goodyears on) and I have probably had my tires rebalanced 5 times now! Everytime I go in, they move the weights and say the tires are out of balance. I got about 30K out of the first set that were put on it as a brand new car, no problems with vibration or anything. But it seems that everytime I take it in, the tires need balancing and it will still vibrate (was pretty bad in the beginning, but very minor now) on the highway around 60-70mph.

Any help is appreciated!

Oh yea, the alignment is perfect too....

• Sponsors (?)

what type of wieghts are they using?? Maybe its a bad tire... Tires can spin on the rim but usually only when:
1. At very low air pressures like when used 4 wheeling.
2. Launching at the drag strip.

Shouldnt happen during normal street use. I would say either bad shop, defective tire or something is screwed up with your front end causing uneven tire wear.

Yea, stock rims, but no to a diff shop....the car only has 40K on it...

I have been to a few different places now, and spent some money on that, as I thought the place that put the tires on were probably idiots since i brought it there like 3 times...

no fix a flat either....

The one place I went did say he thought one of the rims was slightly bend, but everytime I take it in, all 4 tires are rebalanced....

Like I say, its not major, it was really bad the first time right after they put the tires on, like my teeth were chattering, and it has gotten better everytime i go in. seems like they are zeroing in on the right balance!

I too thought maybe the front end was messed up, but it started doing it right after the new tires were put on, like that day...so, who knows....

maybe i will just wear these tires down faster and look forward to all of this again with a new set!

A good sized pothole could do it. I'm talking about really nailing one.

I once curbed a front wheel lightly. It was just a graze but it was enough to throw off the balance enough that the wheel shook at 55MPH. Had to go have that wheel rebalanced

you may want to find a shop with a road force wheel balancer. this is a balancer that also can do measurements for bent rims and shifted belts in a tire and such.

not all shops have a road force. it's a 20,000 dollar machine that a lot of ford dealers have. if in doubt ask to see their balancer before paying and take a pic and post it her. i will tell you if it's a road force.

plus if you do this you have to make sure they know to use the road force tester. it will also do normal balancing. ( the tech will probally try to just do the normal balancing and get away with it) just keep bringing it back untill they road force it.

Yeah for a small town are ford dealership has a nice big tool room.. I am not a tec I deatil cars but form what i hear they stay up on there stuff..I have been thinking about going over and being a lube tec then seeing if they will send me to school but I dunno yet..

Let me ask a question about this road force balancer...I do notice when I drive on a smooth part of the highway, the tires seem to make more noise than they did before, like a swaying, pulsing sound almost...hard to describe. But like I said, the car drives straight.