when idling at red light rpm goes from....

MI95Cobra

Aug 20, 2006
Oklahoma City
when idling at red light rpm goes from 900 to jump above 1000 then drop below 500 and dies after fluctuating after a few seconds....any thoughts????
i can drive anywhere where it idles fine, but when i come to a stop where a sit for more then 15 seconds my rpm's start to jump then drop and after a few times it just dies....i can start it immediately and idle at 900 rpm's again... could it be my IAC???....i thought about taking it off my throttle body aznd cleaning it....any help will be helpful....

Sounds like it could be the IAC going south, but you should also check for vaccum leaks, as they can cause a surging idle as well as other strange phenomena, however it would have to be a huge one to make the car stall. Also check to see if there are any codes. Thats always a good place to start.

I agree. It doesnt sound like classic IAC - it could also be the vac leak (1TMF mentioned) or another system issue (EGR, etc).

List your mods - that'll help. Also let us know how you set the idle last time you did it (without IAC dwell for the hot idle setting, or otherwise).

Good luck.

Surging idle checklist, courtesy of jrichker:

its a completely stock cobra... no modifications yet...the first thing i'm thinking of is a 2-1/2" xpipe...but would a vaccum leak allow my care to idle fine then start surging???? i also have an 1/2" spacer for my intake how do i put that on...since the pipe from the headers to the intake is there can i just cut it and cap it off???

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!!

When cold it idles fine, but after it heats up, when I come to a red light the idle goes like this:

starts at: 500
dips to 400
raises to 600
drops to 300
then shoots to 900

and then dies or hits back to 500 and repeats.

But when the engine is cold it idles superbly.

I bet we have the same problem.

SWYZ, does your idle stay steady at a light for 15 seconds before it flips out? That was kinda key in my mind.................

hmmmmm...

Ya know, it actually might.

I know it doesn't always happen, it happens enough to piss me off, but it doesn't happen enough for me to have to fix it.

So it very well could be that it takes 15 seconds before it happens, because sometimes you come to a light and stop for only a 3-8 seconds (which is actually a long time).

But I haven't actually noted that as a characteristic. But for some reason now that you mention it, I really do wanna say yes. Or actually, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I'll check and see over the next few days.

MI95Cobra said:
so what do we do to fix it?????
Do a run down, step by step of the surging idle checklist. One of those is almost certain to find the problem, as the list has been edited many times as more solutions have been discovered. Those steps are written assuming the car is a Fox, so the codes will be different for the 94-95, but the steps are the same. You'll simply need to locate a list of the three digit trouble codes for our cars to substitute for the two digit Fox codes.

well i took both 02 sensors and the IAC off and cleaned them.....after i let them dry i put them back on and drove around for a couple of miles and it only happened 1
time after 1 mile, but didn't happened for the next couple of miles....i work 20 miles from where i live and after i drive from home to work and back again i'll see what happenes....but on a possitive note i gained alittle more horsepower and throttle response.....

that happened in my talon that i had, it was really bad, it would shoot from 500-2500... i changed out my IAC and it was fine after that, and i cleaned mine before i changed it just to make sure.. you betcha it was that.. good luck!

Tons of info on maf cleaning but take it apart and be careful to not hose up those tiny wires.

Also ...... do a pcm reset and give it a day or two to settle down to see the full benefit of your efforts

Welcome to 94-95 :SNSign:
and
if you create a sig ...............

the next time you ask a Q, we can all the more relate to what you've got
and
not have to ask time and time again.

Hope you find the prob quickly

Grady

I just cleaned my IAC and it seemed to help alittle. My motor lopes pretty good because of the cam. The tach doesn't real fluctuate at all anymore. But the car still shakes alittle. Oh well.

does kinda sound like a lazy iac, definatly check for vacuum leaks first though. It would have to be a pretty big leak for it to act like that though. i would try replacing the iac first if you dont find any vacuum leaks. if you know any mechanics with a scanner youd be able to watch the iac from the pcm and be fairly shure. im a ford tech but im pretty shure ive never replaced one on a stang but my guess is it will be around 60-70$, maybe more?

Same problem I have, i believe it may be a temp sensor leaving my engine thinking it's "choking" itself to get it to be warm.

now i've got it to stop surging but when i start it it starts at 1000 rpm then drops to 900 rpm and when i com to a stop light it drops to around 600 and stays there....still surging ocasionally but not enough to die...

MI95Cobra said:
now i've got it to stop surging but when i start it it starts at 1000 rpm then drops to 900 rpm and when i com to a stop light it drops to around 600 and stays there....still surging ocasionally but not enough to die...

I'd be willing to bet your tb blade stop screw is too far out which then hoses up the isc's ability to function as it should.

You may have your air bleed screw too far out as well.

I've seen either one of those cause a hanging idle.

Another thing that can cause a hanging idle is if you got the dizzy too far advanced.

Honestly ... you just gotta hose around with what mechanical adjustments you have at your disposal to find some relief.

The thing about idle issues is they can be really hard to solve.

Heck ... even with the ability of having pcm value adjustment

It still can be a real challenge
and
Each combo can present its very own unique situations

The ever elusive stable idle of a Stang

Grady