When is enough, enough?

• Sponsors (?)

General, Just fix it. I have some of the Ford bushing press tools in my toolbox. They never worked real good and I had to modify one of the receiving cups. It's easy as gimme a beer. The bushings are cheap and you buy new arms. Find grade 8 or stainless threaded rod and use large modified sockets or welded up pipe. I used to ask the old front end man at my work..."what you installing those ball joints with on the new 95 exploders?" He said anything I can find and would not show me the actual cups. To this day I do tot throw round stuff away because I use it. Blast the old ones out with an air hammer with a chisel bit (or a bfh). You ca probably buy the bushing tools online for cheap

Doing alignments for 40 years you get to know cars and suspensions. Hate to tell you all that This wonderful Mustang fox body you are all proud of came from the 71 Pinto. Which morphed into the 74 mustang. Then the 79 basically the same frame under the car and the same bolt on front crossmember. My 69 boss is similar the early mustangs morphed from the Falcon Comet and even my 56 Fairlane has the beginnings of a Ford unibody. Enjoy the hell out of your Mustangs any body. They still have not changed much even my friends 2019 Shelby is a good ole mustang underneath

Doing alignments for 40 years you get to know cars and suspensions. Hate to tell you all that This wonderful Mustang fox body you are all proud of came from the 71 Pinto. Which morphed into the 74 mustang. Then the 79 basically the same frame under the car and the same bolt on front crossmember. My 69 boss is similar the early mustangs morphed from the Falcon Comet and even my 56 Fairlane has the beginnings of a Ford unibody. Enjoy the hell out of your Mustangs any body. They still have not changed much even my friends 2019 Shelby is a good ole mustang underneath
That sir is a misstatement.
A fox platform car shares no kinship to a freakin pinto, Nothing, I repeat, nothing is remotely close between the two chassis’ other than a rack and pinion steering system. Even at that, they are two different parts, and are far from interchangeable.
A different front and rear frame, different engine compartment, with much larger dimensions, completely different front suspension, (shocks and A arms instead of a macpherson strut/lower control arm), leaf springs and shocks at the rear, instead of a 4 link has me wondering: Where in your 40 years of doing front end alignments are you seeing any similarity between these cars? If anything, a pinto shares more similarity to your 69 Boss than a Fox platform car.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
I should've stuck with my gut instinct. There's a reason why this is the newest car I've ever owned. Because the newer something is the worse it is. Too much plastic and cheap electronics. I'd guess at least 80% of the parts on this car are foreign made. They were never designed to last. It breaks you buy a new one. When Ford switched to EFI the "Built Ford Tough" thing went out the window. Taking an electric Ford Escape and slapping Mustang emblems on it shows how low Ford has sunk in the past 35 years.
That is the left side of your brain talking.
( The one that justifies driving an old car for reasons other than a new car is just too expensive). Plastic is everywhere in the car you’re driving, and there is nothing cheap about any of the electronics in use in any of the new products currently sold as new cars.
All of the safety/semi-autonomous electronics that are in cars now are there to protect those that can’t simply look over their shoulder before a lane change or while backing, (90%) or worse those that think the road is the place to start texting someone. (95%).
EFI when properly functioning is truly a superior fuel delivery system, especially when compared to a factory carburetor. And the “ touchy” ABS brakes are about the safest technology ever devised for a car ( probably controlled by its share of “ cheap electronics), both systems alive and well in the SN 95 mustang. As has been stated here numerous times, your choice to buy a hot-rodded mustang as a reliable daily driver is more about you than it is the car. While in unmolested state these cars are no different than any other on the road with regard to reliability, but those are far and few between. And now that you have, expecting to not have to replace stuff that is worn because of that, or because is just freakin worn out is very naive. You stated that you’ve replaced some brake hoses, and the rear lower control arms, and based on what you’ve said here, would almost guess that you’ve purchased your very own set of “foreign made replacements”, which are notoriously bad and short lived especially when using them for daily driver duty.
Built Ford Tough is a truck slogan, and since the F150 is still the best selling truck ever ( full of plastic and cheap electronics) it’s off center to use that when talking about a car.
I think you should cut bait, get the car running, and sell it. Buy a Toyota.

Last edited:
Everything you wrote above I believe too Angelo. Especially about the cheap plastic. I did not say the two cars were identical. Its the frames that are the same. I have Two Toyotas a Mercedes 3 fords a Jaguar a couple of Chevs 14 total. You must have not known that a pinto and a mustang 2 were the same car. For the 1979 Mustang they basically kept the unibody the same. First job I did working for Ford was a recall on Pinto fuel tank. The plastic shields install funny Mustang 2 has identical shields. 1980 thru 1990 thru 2000 at a Ford dealer every work day. I drove brand new Mustangs almost every day. The Ford service manuals lump those cars together as well and have for years. Length width height all within 2 inches. Wheelbase within 2 inches 71-74 mustang pinto is basically the same car underneath. They both use the same alignment tools and special wrench. The use the same wheel bearing tools and same bushing tools. I have all metal cars but do not drive them much.
Jaguar.jpg
1978 XJ6 a real right brainer worth about three times what I paid

Everything you wrote above I believe too Angelo. Especially about the cheap plastic. I did not say the two cars were identical. Its the frames that are the same. I have Two Toyotas a Mercedes 3 fords a Jaguar a couple of Chevs 14 total. You must have not known that a pinto and a mustang 2 were the same car. For the 1979 Mustang they basically kept the unibody the same. First job I did working for Ford was a recall on Pinto fuel tank. The plastic shields install funny Mustang 2 has identical shields. 1980 thru 1990 thru 2000 at a Ford dealer every work day. I drove brand new Mustangs almost every day. The Ford service manuals lump those cars together as well and have for years. Length width height all within 2 inches. Wheelbase within 2 inches 71-74 mustang pinto is basically the same car underneath. They both use the same alignment tools and special wrench. The use the same wheel bearing tools and same bushing tools. I have all metal cars but do not drive them much.
Jaguar.jpg
1978 XJ6 a real right brainer worth about three times what I paid
For you to say/ think that I don’t know that a MII and a pinto are one in the same is to basically say I haven’t been alive these last 64 years. I continually berate the MII as a reskinned pinto every time one of those things are brought into the conversation.
And….
To reiterate:
There is nothing a pinto shares with a fox. The front subframes are completely different, a pinto doesn’t have a K member, it has a crossmember. it is way shorter, and way more narrow. it won’t bolt up, or be modified to bolt up, it can be cut apart, widened, lengthend and the freakin thing still won’t bolt up to a fox chassis. Stating that the front subframes are the same design goes only as far as saying that they are both rectangular pieces of steel that point forward at the front of the car where the engine and front suspension are mounted.

Last edited:
You can believe what you want Angelo.
you can keep making misrepresentations just the same, mani-ac.
The difference between a 71 mustang and a 74 mustangs‘ wheel base is 13 inches..not exactly the 2 inches you say it is.. When it’s that far off……I really don’t have to go any further.

Last edited:
This thread has gone full retard. And you've both raised the wrath of the Mustang II fans. Take a time out and think about what you've done. :nono:
What happens when you raise the wrath of MII fans exactly?..I’m trying to take a time out and think about what I’ve done, but I just can’t imagine what that can be.

What,…like I won’t be invited to the annual “Remember what Lee Iacocca did to the 74 Mustang“ fan club tea and crumpet Sunday social?

Reactions: 1 user
What happens when you raise the wrath of MII fans exactly?..I’m trying to take a time out and think about what I’ve done, but I just can’t imagine what that can be.

What,…like I won’t be invited to the annual “Remember what Lee Iacocca did to the 74 Mustang“ fan club tea and crumpet Sunday social?
It's on Satudays

Taking an electric Ford Escape and slapping Mustang emblems on it shows how low Ford has sunk in the past 35 years.
While doing this may not have exactly been well received by enthusiasts, it has proven to be effective.
The mach-e's success has come at a cost to it's main competitor, tesla.
Take the emotion out of it. It's a company and their main goal is profits.
Besides, we have known for like 3 years now that it was going to be called the mustang mach-e. Get over it already.

And if you don't want any cheap plastic in your car, what are you going to drive, a bentley?