When is enough, enough?

Man this thread has sure deviated from the original topic
Not really, I’m sure there are more than a few who are thinking “enough is enough” already.
You have to follow the detours or after a while or it’s all just a bunch of the same. When you get an OP stating that he wouldn’t have a car full of plastic, while driving an SN95, and another guy whose still maintaining that a fox platform is pinto based because both cars have front subframe rails,….you can’t just let this dog lie..

• Sponsors (?)

Besides, we have known for like 3 years now that it was going to be called the mustang mach-e. Get over it already.
I really thought it was an awesome marketing ploy and they would relent at the last minute to call it simply the "Mach-E." I was mistaken. A Mustang it is not, regardless of what Ford calls it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Is there a cutoff point where it's just not practical to keep putting money into a car?
Yes. When you can replace the car for cheaper than you can repair the problem, you should simply replace the car. That's how a car gets "totaled." That is, it's a total loss, not because it's impossible to repair, but because it's not practical to do so. Is repairing the rear-end and any other problems you currently have more expensive than replacing your car with another similar car?

Also, if you were going for practicality, what business have you in a built mustang? You will replace a lot of parts. I too have built mustangs. My solution? I drive 165 miles a day round-trip to work. They go on a car that I've spent less on than any other in my life. That's what beaters exist for. Consider getting an economical, practical car you can depend on in addition to your project. The most practical of cars will set you back $1,500-$3k, will get 30-45 mpg, cost next to nothing for liability-only insurance & a multi-car discount, be more dependable than your mustang, be plentiful in junkyards for spare OEM parts, and depreciate little to nothing regardless of the mileage & years put on them.

• Agree
Yes. When you can replace the car for cheaper than you can repair the problem, you should simply replace the car. That's how a car gets "totaled." That is, it's a total loss, not because it's impossible to repair, but because it's not practical to do so. Is repairing the rear-end and any other problems you currently have more expensive than replacing your car with another similar car?

Also, if you were going for practicality, what business have you in a built mustang? You will replace a lot of parts. I too have built mustangs. My solution? I drive 165 miles a day round-trip to work. They go on a car that I've spent less on than any other in my life. That's what beaters exist for. Consider getting an economical, practical car you can depend on in addition to your project. The most practical of cars will set you back $1,500-$3k, will get 30-45 mpg, cost next to nothing for liability-only insurance & a multi-car discount, be more dependable than your mustang, be plentiful in junkyards for spare OEM parts, and depreciate little to nothing regardless of the mileage & years put on them.
I hope the huge jump in prices on used cars is temporary so this is soon true again.

I hope the huge jump in prices on used cars is temporary so this is soon true again.
It's still true. There are always economy cars, even in very nice condition, that no one wants. I suppose having the humility to be seen in them is the price one must pay if that bothers them in the first place.

This one will probably sell for a little over $2k, and could certainly be found for that:

It's still true. There are always economy cars, even in very nice condition, that no one wants. I suppose having the humility to be seen in them is the price one must pay if that bothers them in the first place.

This one will probably sell for a little over $2k, and could certainly be found for that:
I cannot see the car in the link, sorry.
I have been searching for a reliable school car to replace the zombie Beetle, and $3- $5 k increase asking prices for any 200k mile POJ has happened since January. It would be a great time to clean and sell the Beetle, but that price range might get a car with a blown engine. $5k seems the minimum for a reliable 15-20 year old car this month. It’s not good.

If you're serious about it, look up a gen 3 Saturn SL2. Model years 2000 to 2002. Get one, I would suggest, with 100k or less.

I'm quite sure there are plenty of others this good, but it's very hard to beat.

This might be a pinto/saturn thread now but 5k into a 4k toy sounds pretty pleasant. I wish I could move on to a new project for only a 1k loss. I'm just going to keep buying shovels and dig my way out of this hole.