Where Can I Buy Spider Gears?

I dont have a clue how I did this, but I sheared off my teeth on the side gears in my rear diff on my truck. Its got a 31 spline 8.8. So I need to buy new ones but I dont know where to get them. I dont need performance ones or anything stockers would be fine.

• Sponsors (?)

First you need to inspect your ring/pinion to see if any of those little chunks got in between them and did any damage. I'd be amazed if they weren't hurt. If they are, just go to a salvage yard and buy another rear end. IF, by some strange chance you luck out and nothing else is damaged, I'd ask them to sell me the carrier assembly and move my ring gear over to it. Keep track of which side the shims came out of, put them back and torque everything. Make sure the carrier bearings are the same brand, because dimensions vary from one brand to the next. Replacing a timken with a timken works well everytime. Ford 8.8's are real good about repeating on tolerances, as long as you do this and don't disturb the pinion it should be fine.

From my experience, check the carrier for cracks very carefully. I shredded a set of spyder gears once and had a very un-noticeable crack in the carrier from the inspection holes to the pin. If the carrier is ok, then I would do what SSeater said and go to the junk yard. Good luck!

What did the gears cost you mrv8outboard? Also I'm not new to rear ends, I had just never seen spider gears blown apart before. I just built a hefty rear for my stang thats holding together nicely. I called the ford only yard near me and they dont want to sell me just the spider gears. To me $500 for the whole rear end is wayyy too much considering mine is spotless and I know the ones at the yard will be chitty. I was looking into lunchbox lockers that replace the spider gears but for a tiny bit more I can buy a whole new detroit carrier. However the detroit locker I want is $800 I'd have to settle for a true trac. I did inspect the carrier in the truck and it seemed fine but I'm gonna take a better look when I get some time. But heres a question. Say I swap carriers (put in a truetrac) can I leave the pinion depth alone and still have it within spec? I dont plan on doing a gear swap as of yet because then id be a grand into this diff.

Oh yes I know that. As far as I know all Ill have to do with the true trac I ordered is set my backlash. But I need to pull the pinion anyway to put in a new crush sleeve I overtightened the old one with I did a pinion seal.

I learned a trick talking to a racer at an NMRA event once. If you are in a pinch, or don't want to spend the money, you can leave the crush sleeve on the pinionshaft and set it on an anvil or a vise.. or someting hard like the concrete lip of the floor in your garage (what I do). Take a 4 lb hammer and while rotating massage the high spot on the crush sleeve. This spreads the crush sleeve back out and it works better than a new one. You don't have to kill yourself crushing them, and they still hold fine. Sounds kinda primitive, but I've done it to five different cars and they're still running fine. just wrap the gear with a towel so it isn't damaged..

Or, you can just spend the 5 bucks or whatever for a new one..:)

I have seen some advertised that dont crush. Like on the ones in a 9" you just have to shim them to get your preload right. If the truck wasnt my daily driver. And I wasnt walking to work everyday. Id spend the extra time to do that. But I have about 8 new crush sleaves in my differential parts box so Ill use a new one and do like you said to the old one. Thanks for the tip.

Hey everyone! I was also looking for spider gears a while ago. Wasn't able to find them locally and dealer's price was too high, so I found them here

Last edited by a moderator:
Cept nobodies been looking on this thread for the last 4.5 years...sounds like another sideways attempt to advertise for some service.....better hope that Noobz doesn't see it..............

Oops................Too late.

Reactions: 1 users