Where did the name "Fox" come from

• Sponsors (?)

The name "fox" comes from the Volkswagaon "FOX" which was the target vehcial for the original fox chassis car which was not a mustang, ummmm was it a 78 fairmont, someone will know, Only the engines in new stangs are call modular, it is just the name of the engine family, the 4.6 single and dual bumpstick, 5.4 and the v-10 are all part of the mod engine family, 94-98 cars are sn-95, 99-04 are "new edge" 05 Plus is s197

Ford's Fox platform or chassis was originally used on Fairmonts in 1978 I believe. Fox Body Mustang just refers to a Mustang that uses the fox unibody chassis. I believe it was based off of the VW fox platform, hence it's name. The chassis was used for many other cars, not just the Mustang. I believe TBirds and Cougars. You could also refer to those cars as "foxbody"s.

Reed said:
I believe it was based off of the VW fox platform, hence it's name.

:nono: Ummmm..... no.

In the mid-70's Lee Iacocca was in charge of development of new vehicles for Ford. He set the designers to the task of coming up with a platform that Ford could use to build a bunch of different cars from. He used Volkswagen's Fox as a benchmark. VW used that platform to build the VW Rabbit/Golf, Dasher, Quantum, Audi Fox and 100LS. Ford came up with what we now know as the Fox chassis and used it to build the 79 and up Mustang, Fairmont, Zephyr, T-bird, LTD, Granada, Cougar, Marquis and a bunch of others that I can't remember. Interchangability of parts made develpment quicker and cheaper.

This whole question ought to be a sticky.

nonglossjason said:
nut swinger

Where the hell did that come from? When I read the original post there were no responses. I'm just trying to answer the guy's question and unfortunately, I got one thing wrong so I stand corrected. Why don't you post something helpful instead of calling names, bud?

s&k stangs said:
Arent Sn95 cars(94-2004-new edge just refers to the marketing term for the body style) built on the same fox platform as the pre 94 cars?

i thought the sn95 was like the fox-4 or fox-5 chassis? and people called them sn95's??? i dunno i thought SOMETHING was called the fox-4 or fox-5

1990Coupe said:
i thought the sn95 was like the fox-4 or fox-5 chassis? and people called them sn95's??? i dunno i thought SOMETHING was called the fox-4 or fox-5

They're a modified Fox platform, i've heard Fox4 but most often SN95. Also just for kicks, the Mustang was heading out the door when the Fox platform was created, and then the idea of a cheaper 4 banger Mustang came with the gas crisis and we now have Fox platform Mustangs. What kills me is that it's like Ford and the rest of the automotive industry disregaurds the entire '79-93 lineup when it comes to things like posters, model cars, Hotwheels, and just basically any kind of collectible. I know GMP makes some Fox bodys but it's crappy that you can't just walk through a toy department and see a Fox hotwheel or model to build.

Actually a little off topic but i did find an '87 GT model at Hobby Lobby but it's really really stupid looking...the headlights are stickers and the slant of the nose looks like a Thunderbird. I didn't waste my cash on it.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
What kills me is that it's like Ford and the rest of the automotive industry disregaurds the entire '79-93 lineup when it comes to things like posters, model cars, Hotwheels, and just basically any kind of collectible. I know GMP makes some Fox bodys but it's crappy that you can't just walk through a toy department and see a Fox hotwheel or model to build.

You just need to look harder. I've got all kinds of Fox-body stuff: 2 GMP's, either 5 or 6 Hot Wheels-type cars, I used to have a 1/43 scale Fox convertible that got lost in a move, I've had a model kit of both a white Fox 'vert and a 93 Cobra, plus I've got several posters that feature Fox body cars. Keep and eye on eBay and you can find stuff all the time.

wythors said:
You just need to look harder. I've got all kinds of Fox-body stuff: 2 GMP's, either 5 or 6 Hot Wheels-type cars, I used to have a 1/43 scale Fox convertible that got lost in a move, I've had a model kit of both a white Fox 'vert and a 93 Cobra, plus I've got several posters that feature Fox body cars. Keep and eye on eBay and you can find stuff all the time.

Yeah i know stuff exists, i mean NEW stuff like popping up on toy shelves. Like why doesn't Matel have any Fox's in their Hotwheels lineup? You can find Johnny Lightning on eBay but i'm not looking to spend a fortune on stuff. You can go and see IROC Camaro Hotwheels all day long but no Foxbody Mustangs.

Design and development began in the summer of 1973 on a shorter wheelbase - 100 inches - to respond first to the need for the Pinto/Cortina/Taunus. Through the next year, work advanced the Fox/Pinto platform and it was begun on a Fox/Fairmont sedan. The problem was Sperlich's theoretial world car and safety standards differed from country to country and no nation was willing to yield its regulations to another's. Hugely different production techniques between European and US factories in the size of their body panels, in spot welding philosophy, as well as in proprietary characteristis of their outside vendors' component represented the final insurmountable hurdle to be the same-car-everywhere project at the time. But the platform on which to base the Pinto/Mustang sedan was looking more and more viable. By spring of 1975 North American Automotive Operations had taken over the Fox platform from Sperlich's Product Planning and Research dept.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Yeah i know stuff exists, i mean NEW stuff like popping up on toy shelves. Like why doesn't Matel have any Fox's in their Hotwheels lineup? You can find Johnny Lightning on eBay but i'm not looking to spend a fortune on stuff. You can go and see IROC Camaro Hotwheels all day long but no Foxbody Mustangs.
Hot Wheels are for kids. Kids usually don't know about Fox Mustangs. They look plain and slow. It doesn't matter that they can be fast, kids are only looking at a toy, and if it doesn't look fast, they're not likely to pick it up. Besides, you can't modify a toy so kids don't care.

Does this look fast to you? This is a 1997 Hot Wheels by the way.
623.jpg

For example.

Jada's Big Time Muscle series. You'd be hard pressed to find a Mustang, GTO, or Cobra, but I see plenty of those Dodge Magnums. Everywhere I go, usually one or two F-100's and 30 Dodge Magnums.

Transformers Alternators series (Realistic looking cars that transform into robots). You can't find '05 Mustangs, Corvettes, or Vipers. Everywhere I go the shelf is choked to death with Subaru WRX's and Scion XB's.

It's all about the looks.

Reed said:
Where the hell did that come from? When I read the original post there were no responses. I'm just trying to answer the guy's question and unfortunately, I got one thing wrong so I stand corrected. Why don't you post something helpful instead of calling names, bud?

LOL, anyone ever hear Dane Cook and his thing about people saying buddy ? As soon as I read that I thought of it.

Ya I agree tooo...its a forum it happens.

4.6andSlicks said:
Does anyone know the origin of the name "Fox Body"? Was it built by someone named Fox? ....and why are the newer stangs called "Modular" ???

Inquiring minds want to know

Fox is the chassis. The name is taken directly from the VW Fox.

Modular refers to the new line of V8 and V10 engines, which can be interchanged (hence "modular") among each other.

The new stangs are called modular cuz they have the modular powerplant. It's just a nickname