Where do I start with tuning this Holley?

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
I'm about to stick a Holley on my 68, and I just wanted to see if anyone with a similar combo could steer me in the right direction on a good combo of power valves, jets, needle and seats, accel pump cam and diaphragm. I have the large trick kit that comes with all the extra tuning stuff. I understand that this carb may be a bit big, but it was free. I've got it all cleaned up ready to re-assemble.

Someone gave me a Holley 3310-1, it's a 780 vacuum secondary. I'm just wondering what stuff to put in it as a good starting point to tune from. I was told for power valves, that I should check my vacuum, then divide by 2 and use those valves. It also currently has 72 and 76 jets. What about the other stuff?

Here's the setup:

68 Coupe
69 351w
Trickflow TW 170 heads
Comp XE284 cam--- Lift .541/544 | Dur @ .050 -240/246 | Adv Dur 284/296
T5 and 3.50 gears.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

My free advice is to take it apart and inspect it, then install it. To tune it, you need a vacuum guage and a good timing light. I'd leave the jets and stuff alone until after you get a trial adjustment to see how it performs. I don't really think it is too big for your application.

My free advice is to take it apart and inspect it, then install it. To tune it, you need a vacuum guage and a good timing light. I'd leave the jets and stuff alone until after you get a trial adjustment to see how it performs. I don't really think it is too big for your application.

Ditto. You might want to install a lighter secondary spring and a 50cc accellerator pump (depending on what intake you're running)

Ditto. You might want to install a lighter secondary spring and a 50cc accellerator pump (depending on what intake you're running)

Doh! I knew I forgot something! For now it's a Performer RPM intake.

It's already been disassembled and cleaned.

Thanks for the advice!

I put everything back together and I must say it's like a totally different car! I ended up leaving the jets alone, leaving the accelerator pump cam alone (it's a brownish orange type color) and put in 3.5 power valves. My vacuum was bouncing between 5-9 and the 3.5 was the closest thing I had to half of that.

I think there may still be a few issues to work out but overall it's a huge difference over the 600 edelbrock that was on there.

Ok, now my main issue I'm having is when I give it throttle at under 1500 rpms under load, like taking off or shifting during normal driving, it will stumble a bit until after 1500 and then it's fine.

Do I need a bigger accelerator pump diaphragm? I have a huge one in the kit but I need a deeper cover to install it. If that will fix the off idle bog then I'll buy one. Other than that it's great. I think I will also take the advice of a lighter secondary spring too.

I'm about to stick a Holley on my 68, and I just wanted to see if anyone with a similar combo could steer me in the right direction on a good combo of power valves, jets, needle and seats, accel pump cam and diaphragm. I have the large trick kit that comes with all the extra tuning stuff. I understand that this carb may be a bit big, but it was free. I've got it all cleaned up ready to re-assemble.

Someone gave me a Holley 3310-1, it's a 780 vacuum secondary. I'm just wondering what stuff to put in it as a good starting point to tune from. I was told for power valves, that I should check my vacuum, then divide by 2 and use those valves. It also currently has 72 and 76 jets. What about the other stuff?

Here's the setup:

68 Coupe
69 351w
Trickflow TW 170 heads
Comp XE284 cam--- Lift .541/544 | Dur @ .050 -240/246 | Adv Dur 284/296
T5 and 3.50 gears.

Any input would be appreciated.

I will offer, first install a couple (or one) O2 bungs. Either buy, or borrow a wide-band AFR, or visit your local go fast shop with a chassis dyno. This will save you so much time and effort. Every engine has too many different characteristics, even running the same go fast goodies.
Good Luck!

The problem you now have could be a few different things. Get a wide band and read,read and read about how to tune a Holley with a wide band. Quickfuel's techline is also a great resource. I am tuning a 393 stroked 351W with a big cam and 5 inches of vacuum in gear so I have a 2.5 power valve because a 6.5 would be dumping fuel at idle in gear. There is a lot more involved than just a few adjustments. You need to understand how a carb works in order to make the correct adjustments. I will not tell you what to do because without a wideband you cant tell if its a lean or a rich stumble.

I will offer, first install a couple (or one) O2 bungs. Either buy, or borrow a wide-band AFR
Good Luck!

Get a wide band and read,read and read about how to tune a Holley with a wide band. I will not tell you what to do because without a wideband you cant tell if its a lean or a rich stumble.

A buddy of mine has been wanting a wideband for tuning also, we had talked about splitting the cost, we may end up doing that.

If you get a wideband, don't get too hung up on the numbers. Different combos need different A/F ratios for max power. Mine was on the rich side for best performance. Also not all dynos can load a motor enough to get a proper tune. If you try the 50cc pump you will need a yellow or brown cam to get enough lift to take advantage of the larger pump. Here is a chart for 30cc cams. http://www.carbdford.com/tech/Holley20PumCams.gif Make sure there is no slack at idle and maybe try one that the lift is steeper early in the throttle. It sounds like you are talking about a hesitaion on light accel? Or is it wot at 1500rpm.

It sounds like you are talking about a hesitaion on light accel? Or is it wot at 1500rpm.

Yep, light acceleration. I've only been WOT from 3k-6500, and it runs good there, but stumbles on light acceleration and steady cruise around and below 1500.

Actually, I think that either today or tomorrow after work I'll make a vid where you can see the tach and hear the car so you can really see what it's doing. It has a brown pump cam in the #1 position, and a 25 pump nozzle. It shoots strong streams immediately upon throttle.

It kind of slightly surges at cruise also.

Well I ended up putting a 32 nozzle on it and it still does it. Maybe I need the 50cc pump kit or my problem is somewhere else.

I made a vid of what it's doing, I think I'll try to upload it tomorrow.