Where does the radio actually ground?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
I looked at some diagrams and can't figure out which ground is actually for the radio.

I am trying to see if I am having a ground issue with the dash. I am having the standard "temp gauge moves with lights turning on" issue, but it ONLY happens with the lights and no other electrical load. Right now for instance, when I turn on my blinker, the temp gauge jumps slightly each time the blinker flashes. Right now one of my cluster bulbs is out for the right blinker, and when I turn on the blinker the temp gauge does not move (outside blinkers working fine). So I know it is only effected when the lights in the cluster are lit.

Also, I am having issues with radio reception. Two different radios have horrible reception, including a HD turner radio (HD turner built in). I pretty much have to drive into the lobby of the radio station in order to get a clear signal. I ruled out antenna. I used a new antenna wire, new antenna base, and new antenna. Didn't change anything. First I connected it and just held the antenna outside the car, then I installed it properly, no difference. Yet when I plug either of these radios in another vehicle, the reception if great. So it is something with my car, and it is NOT the antenna, cable, or base.

This all leads me to a ground issue. Right now I have a 2 gauge wire with soldered copper lugs as grounds. I replaced the ground strap from the head to the fire wall with one. I also have the same thing going from the block to the sway bar bracket on the frame (right side of motor), and another going from the block to the frame rail on the left side of the motor. I double checked all the visible grounds in the engine bay, the one on the header panel, and the ones near the starter solenoid. I cleaned all the metal for those grounds and reconnected them all. So I am thinking I am missing a ground or two.

Basically I just need to know which body ground is for the cluster and which one is for the radio...and if they are the same.

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

I am not positive on where the ground for the actual radio is, when you take the dash out there are a couple of grounds. HAve your tried to run a new ground to your head unit to verify that its your problem.

I pretty much agree that your problem is the ground. I would try running a temp ground for the radio that way you will know if that is your problem.

Not too much help sorry

The radio ground is on one of the metal braces under the instrument cluster. According to my diagram it appears to be somewhere above the clutch pedal. The ground for most of the instrument cluster is in front of the driver's side wheel well.

The cluster ground is one of the ones near the starter solenoid? Is that what you mean by in front of the drivers side wheel well? Sorry if that sounds dumb, just looking to clarify to see if I missed a ground.

I believe it's the ground below the washer fluid reservoir. Not so dumb when the best grounds are the ones closest to the main ground, and there are about 20 things that are spliced off of that same ground.

Yea, I am pretty sure I got all of those. There a few around that same area. I'm going to try to jump the radio ground and see if that clears up reception, and I am going to recheck all the grounds I know of.

I know there are a few around the washer bottle/starter solenoid, and I have two on either side of the header panel.

I wish I could get my hands on the old Ford books, because I think there is a missing ground somewhere that may be hidden behind the dash.

This post won't help with the explicity questions you asked Chris, but it's something I might consider for diagnostics.

I will often run a new dedicated ground wire for the radio anyhow (esp when the radio is higher-powered than the OEM unit, or if I want to connect the radio and amp grounds together [for loop concerns]).

Though I dont think it's directly related, do you have the hood's ground strap intact? My understanding is that it's more for noise suppression but that it can also help create a ground plane, which seems like it could help with reception.

Good luck and bump.

Though I dont think it's directly related, do you have the hood's ground strap intact? My understanding is that it's more for noise suppression but that it can also help create a ground plane, which seems like it could help with reception.

Good luck and bump.

Nope....I wasn't even aware Fox's were supposed to have hood grounds. lol

What the hell, adding another ground can't hurt. My right side ground is just something I put on there because I was bored and happened to see a threaded hole in the head on that side. I figured, why not go ahead and put a ground there. If it was up to me, my engine bay would look like a spider web with grounds coming off every possible position.

That's why I keep thinking I must be missing something simple, because everybody talks about grounds...and I think I have over done my grounds.