where is the best shift point for a 2002 gt ??????

Bad Saleen

Jul 3, 2004
where is the best shift point for a 2002 gt ?????? today i went to the track and i ran 14.2 it is a good time for bone stock gt except for the 4:10s gear

let me know

• Sponsors (?)

5500 is about the best for stock I think.

14.2 is about as expected for a stock 02. 4.10s won't affect things drastically change that much since they niether add nor subtract power to the wheels. What were the other stats, specifically the 60-foot time and the MPH?

I'll comment and say that it is possible with proper altitude, traction, and a good driver that a bone stock 99-04 GT can dip into the 13's. However, don't hold your breath if you think its easy. You should be able to do it with 4.10's though. Just need to pratice and make sure you're getting traction.

Yeah, shifting higher twords 6,000 does best sometimes as when you shift, those rpms are gonna drop somewhat upon entering into the next gear. Need to keep em high and tight. Just like ya woman in bed. Sorry, I got a girl talking to me right now lol.

well, judging by my most recent Dyno graph(on below modded 01GT), i think its pointless to rev past 5500RPM. power drop off so fast after that, all u doing is hurting engine, and not accelelating at all.
Infact, power starts to go down after 5000RPM. so i think I'll shift at 5500 on 1st, then may be 5000 there after.
But with 4.11, u might be able to go straight to 5500rpm on all gears and not lose any time. With 3.23, reving past 5000rpm on 2nd, and after that will hurt ur time
Someone Correct me if i'm wrong

mity2 said:
well, judging by my most recent Dyno graph(on below modded 01GT), i think its pointless to rev past 5500RPM. power drop off so fast after that, all u doing is hurting engine, and not accelelating at all.
Infact, power starts to go down after 5000RPM. so i think I'll shift at 5500 on 1st, then may be 5000 there after.
But with 4.11, u might be able to go straight to 5500rpm on all gears and not lose any time. With 3.23, reving past 5000rpm on 2nd, and after that will hurt ur time
Someone Correct me if i'm wrong

No track time, eh ? The reason to shift at a higher RPM is to have the motor fall into the "sweet spot" of the next gear. Keeping a good momentum is the key to getting a low powered car through the 1/4 quickly.

Jay

I usually try to shift at about 5200 rpms in 1st gear, but i shift at 5000 rpms in the other gears and it doesnt run any slower than getting the rpms higher. I noticed on the dyno for my car that the HP peaked out around 4950 - 5000 rpms and the torque peaked out at about 3500 rpms, so i dont see the need in revving it past 5000 rpms because my power starts to drop off a bit..

Now I shift at 5800 RPMs....stock i was shifting at 5800-6K and man it did drop off alot up there, but now after mods it keeps pulling hard to 5800. 6K it dropps a little power, and it looks like now I have no rev limiter LOL, have yet to hit it been to like 6600 in a burnout at the track.

I didn't think I had a rev limiter for awhile there until I was doing a burnout at the track and hit it, but barely heard it hit.

I try not to shift past 5500, plan to dyno soon so I"ll see how bad I'm dropping off, my track times are still terrible (im a beginner :))

Please, all you guys shifting a 5000-5500 , I noticed none of you posted any track times, post your best times. I'm real curious how much this "short-shifting" is helping you at the track. I've ran 12.89 with 249rwhp shifting at 5800-6000.....post em up boys :D

Jay

I shift at about 5000 rpm, i've only gotten a 2.1 60 ft time, 9.0 1/8 mile and 11.55 1000 ft time.. there's not a 1/4 mile track around my area, so all i can get is my 1000 ft time at the longest.. of course that was the first night I ever went up to the line at the drap strip and it's my first five speed.. i was a little stupid with it and dumped the clutch, so that didnt help any.. i had crappy traction no matter if i slipped the clutch or dumped it.. my tires just wont hook up for anything.. I havent been back since.. but I know i can do at least a 1.9 60 ft if i can get anywhere near decent traction.. and that's with 250-260 est. rwhp.. not that great of times, i know.. but i'm new to the track, so what can i say other than "I tried" :shrug:

jasonh_86 said:
I shift at about 5000 rpm, i've only gotten a 2.1 60 ft time, 9.0 1/8 mile and 11.55 1000 ft time.. there's not a 1/4 mile track around my area, so all i can get is my 1000 ft time at the longest.. of course that was the first night I ever went up to the line at the drap strip and it's my first five speed.. i was a little stupid with it and dumped the clutch, so that didnt help any.. i had crappy traction no matter if i slipped the clutch or dumped it.. my tires just wont hook up for anything.. I havent been back since.. but I know i can do at least a 1.9 60 ft if i can get anywhere near decent traction.. and that's with 250-260 est. rwhp.. not that great of times, i know.. but i'm new to the track, so what can i say other than "I tried" :shrug:

Nothing wrong with running a 9.0 on your first time out :flag: Next time just try a nice 2500 launch with some clutch slip and shift @ 5800-6000.....you may be surprised :D . I ran a 8.64 with a 2.02 60' with ONLY a O/R X and mufflers. Good luck

Jay

dang, that's a good 60 ft time. my car was put on the dyno b4 they got the accufab 75mm tb and plenum, the mac straight shot with the 85mm MAF, and the underdrive crank pulley from steeda.. so i figured i'd only be gettin about 10-12 rwhp out of that, i dont wanna overestimate too much then be upset with the power gains.. but i figured 10 is also a little high.. what would you say i should run if i can get the hang of it and get it to hook?

jasonh_86 said:
dang, that's a good 60 ft time. my car was put on the dyno b4 they got the accufab 75mm tb and plenum, the mac straight shot with the 85mm MAF, and the underdrive crank pulley from steeda.. so i figured i'd only be gettin about 10-12 rwhp out of that, i dont wanna overestimate too much then be upset with the power gains.. but i figured 10 is also a little high.. what would you say i should run if i can get the hang of it and get it to hook?

You have enough HP to run low 8's in the 1/8th. I was running 8.40's with 249rwhp on drag radials. You'll need low 1.9's for your 60's :D

Jay

12.99 with a 3600lb car at 5500 rpms. A much better example is tony whetstone who went 12.77 on street tires and bolt ons shifting at 5500rpms and before that 12.9 on stock 3.27s. Although your track times are great old man, i ALWAYS got better slips at 5500 :D

Jackie Chan said:
12.99 with a 3600lb car at 5500 rpms. A much better example is tony whetstone who went 12.77 on street tires and bolt ons shifting at 5500rpms and before that 12.9 on stock 3.27s. Although your track times are great old man, i ALWAYS got better slips at 5500 :D

Tony is an alien......you would have been faster if you shifted higher.....I need a nap :nonono:

Jay

JayC said:
Tony is an alien......you would have been faster if you shifted higher.....I need a nap :nonono:

Jay
BULL****!!! I needed an SCT tune to be faster and was always too broke to get one. Now Im making plenty of money but i sold my damn car :mad:

No applesauce for you pappy