Where To Buy A Rebuilt T5

TRIBUNAL

Jun 12, 2005
So I built a gt40p engine, originally out of a 97 explorer, upgraded the cam. Should be a good solid engine when I work the bogs out. The T5 I have though has an issue with second gear. I'm looking for a T5, I have seen the charts of years and the gear/horsepower breakdown. I would like one that will hold up. I would like one that's been rebuilt with solid parts. If I had the time I would dive into it and do it myself but I lack that kind of time. Is there a company or place anyone could recommend? There people on craigslist that say they rebuild them, but you never know what people are using and what kind of work they do. I have been burned so many times dealing with people and I don't want to wind up with another junk T5 that's good for 265HP. So I am looking for some recommendations. I live on long island, NY.

Extra question, Are there rebuild kits that upgrade the lower end T5's so that they can handle the higher horsepower like the better made/later model T5's? If so and there was a good guide maybe I would rebuild it myself...

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reccomendations, Hanlon website didn't work, the Astro one did, mostly, not sure its compatible with my year but they had a t5 for 1100 rebuilt.
I'd be willing to spend maybe 900, 1100 is hard to justify, perhaps I need to rebuild it myself.... I'll give them a call I guess.

What year T5 (or car) do you have?

Astro does make aftermarket gearsets for existing T5's that you can buy and install into yours. Will require some knowledge of T5 rebuilding, as they are pretty simple transmissions to rebuild.

Thanks for the reccomendations, Hanlon website didn't work, the Astro one did, mostly, not sure its compatible with my year but they had a t5 for 1100 rebuilt.
I'd be willing to spend maybe 900, 1100 is hard to justify, perhaps I need to rebuild it myself.... I'll give them a call I guess.

Bob and Linda Hanlon are the most approachable people in the business. Linda can be a little crass, but her advice is solid. It's a small family business, so don't diminish the quality of their service from the shortcomings of their website. Bob does more involved custom work while Astro has the market share to provide a greater number of aftermarket parts. All these small manual transmission builders work together to a certain degree, so I doubt you will get poor advice from any of them.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
I really have enjoyed all of my dealings with Hanlon Motorsports. The site needs a little work but their phone number works. Lol

They're open from 9-5 eastern time 610-469-2695

When I was doing more transmission work as a part of my business, the names would overlap. I would call them all in sequence. Eventually I would get a response like "A 3550 case, Southern Gear just asked if I had one. That's the second inquiry of the day" from Astro Performance. I had to explain that I had called Southern Gear first, and they were making inquiries on my behalf. Manual transmission parts people are always calling each other to get parts.

Kurt

Thanks for the help guys!
To answer your question, it's an 86 mustang but the tranny is from an a-hole and I don't know what it's out of and wont till I get it out.
After watching that video I'm definitely going to go with buying one from someone if I can afford to.
I'll try giving them a call.