Where to Seal?

Mustang Jim

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2001
New Jersey
OK, so I'm pulling off the oil pan tomorrow morning and replacing the rear main seal. I picked up the rear seal tonight and I'm almost ready to go.

I know I'm supposed to put a dab of sealant at the cap when I assemble it, but where exactly? At the cap mating surface? Just a little?

I have some permatex red RTV that is supposed to be good up to 650F, so that should do it.

Thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

The RTV goes specifically where the main cam meets the block register. Look closely at the ends of the main cap and you will see this bevel (thin shiney line) that goes the whole width of the main cap:

Motorpics071.jpg

A light little dab will do ya in the block and you only need it toward the rear most area of the block .

Also, I am not fond of using the red high heat stuff on engine internals and prefer using Permatex Ultra Black.

Well, I dropped the pan and replaced the rear main seal. Not too bad at all. It only took me about 3 hours. While I was at it, I replaced the pilot bearing. That's all for this weekend. Next weekend I install the new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. I can't wait! :D