Where were you on this morning 19 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Let’s not forget the significance of today people. 19 years ago I was getting ready to go to work about now when CNN broke news about a plane crashing into the World Trade Tower. Let’s take a single minute to remember the 1000’s that lost their lives to a handful of terrorists that day.

And think back on the aftermath,...especially in these times almost 20 years later....It was the one time in my life where everybody in this country was on the same page. Not a liberal or a conservative USA,...ONE USA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Blissfully unaware of what was going to happen one year later and change the world forever. It was 2001, not 2000, it's only been 19 years.

EDIT: Now that Mike when back and edited it... I was walking between band class on English, and it was my sophomore year in high school. Everyone except the band already knew what had happened, as we'd been on the football field practicing our performance for the upcoming game.

This wannabe anarchist/punk/goth kid (he was trying real hard to make up for the fact that he was the only one of any of those groups in that hick town) came running up to us, excitedly yelling that it was going to be anarchy, that the government was going down. We had no idea what he was babbling about. Then I got to English, and the teacher had the TV on, and I saw the replays of the first plane hitting... and then saw the second plane hit and the towers collapse live.

Last edited:
I miss the days when we were united, its obvious now that some of those that were not born or very young at the time don't understand the unity and resolve we all had.
I was at work when one of my coworkers came over to me and said OMG a cargo plane crashed into the world trade center! We ran to a tv only to see the second tower get hit.... I looked at him and said "WW3 has just begun" I sent everyone home for the day as i seriously thought this was the start of a much bigger attack. As the days passed I watched the news clinging to every update....

I was in the 7th grade in history class. I remember getting dismissed from school after being told what was happening. Obviously normally everyone is happy to leave school early but not on that day it was very quiet and out of the ordinary. I just went home and watched the news and watched everything in horror.

First year of college. Came back from my early morning class to see the roommates watching the news after the first plane hit. Watched the second plane hit which made it painfully obvious this wasn't and accident, and then watched the buildings fall. I'll never forget.

IMO Americans play like we are all "united" when in reality it is quite the contrary and has been since Americas inception IMO. I have been half way around the world and have my own experience to back my opinion.... @74stang2togo sorry if it is hard to understand but let me break it down... I was stationed in Korea on a mission to infiltrate another unit just playing war games. We litterally were crawling knee deep in some random Korean's rice patty when my SFC got the call to cancel and head back to the barracks. We didn't know what the call was until we got back and seen the planes hit the building. The next few days were long and difficult.
The "Huh" reaction was to the fact that it was 19 years ago, not 20, as Mike originally posted, meaning that you guys' reactions were all hilariously a year premature. He went back and edited it.

I understand grunt speak, and knew what your post meant.

Reactions: 1 user
2nd year of college in downtown Boston. Woke up to my roommates (who I am still friends with and contacted this am to discuss our AM 19 years ago) screaming about a plane crashing into the WTC. I thought it was a Cessna. I woke up in time to see the 2nd plane hit. A few hours later, no air traffic in Boston and fighter jets circling overhead. I remember this day very well.

Now i have co-op students that weren't even born in 2001 (or were just born) and was talking about this the other day. Felt like an old-timer talking about the day Pearl Harbor was bombed.

I was on leave. I was on my way west on Highway 76 somewhere between Breezewood and Pittsburgh. I found out about it when I arrived at my destination.

I called my unit and was given instructions to [stay in place] until directed otherwise.

I couldn't have been more than a few miles from where flight 93 crashed.

I was halfway into my undergrad, over 1,000 miles from NYC in midwestern USA. I was a news junkie back then (in fact working at the student newspaper) so I was watching CNN that morning while eating breakfast as it was part of my usual morning routine. Obviously that day was anything but routine even in MN. I felt like i was the first person on campus to know of it due to the timing relative to our time zone and the fact that there were no smartphones or even good wifi on our campus back then. Eventually my organic chemistry lecture was cancelled by the university president so students and staff could take whatever precautions they felt they needed.

I was in my morning auto class my senior year of high school. My instructor told us to sit and watch the news coverage as it was a day that would be written in future history books. We watched as the second plane hit and the towers fell. I too will never forget where I was or how it felt to watch it unfold.

I was 21 and working as a paint prepper at the first bodyshop I started in. I woke up that morning to a station on my alarm clock saying a plane had crashed into one of the buildings. I turned on my TV and was watching the news coverage while getting dressed and the 2nd plane hit the second tower. I remember saying "Holy :poo:!" out loud. Went to work, and all we did that day was listen to the radio just to see what was next. I wont forget that day either.

Well said @CarMichael Angelo !!
I was already at work...... in the receiving Dept when I first heard the news on the radio. Spent the rest of the day glued to the TV.
Still brings me to tears watching the memorials each year..... still as raw as it ever was in my opinion! Never forget!
Still keep a pic above my desk!
image.jpg

• Winner
Three or four days out of Pearl Harbor enroute San Diego...USS KINKAID, on return from a Mideast/WestPAC as part of the CONSTELLATION Battle Group. We loitered there for several days expecting to be tasked, but ended up returning home. So many things had changed when we returned.

Junior in college and co-oping at a major automotive manufacturer. We were off site on a test drive. Didn’t know about it until the guard told us on our way in. They shut the line down and held a plant wide meeting. Lots of emotions that day.

Vacationing in Las Vegas,stranded for an extra 2 days before being able to fly home.Tried renting a vehicle but none were available.
I guess if there's a place to be stranded that's a good one.

That flight home was a little nerve racking to say the least.

I was back in school at age 29 and living with my mom at the time. My room was in the basement. I woke up around 7:30 CST, come upstairs and see her sitting in her chair glued to the TV. The news was on and I wasn't paying attention at first. Figured it was no big deal to me personally, just like most days. I asked her what was going on and she replied someone attacked us. I turned around just in time to see the second plane hit the World Trade Center. I was glued to the news for the next few hours wondering what was going to happen in the coming hours, weeks, and months. The only thing I could think was that someone was going to pay. I had gotten out of the Marine Corps a couple years prior and had serious thoughts of re-enlisting. As I sat and watched people jump from that building with no hope of surviving, hearing the now famous voicemail of a man's last "I love you" to his wife and family - it left an indelible mark. That day WAS personal. I heard news of the Pentagon being hit and of the plane that passengers stood up to the terrorist to protect their fellow countrymen and think that I would only hope to be able to do the same.

I made a trip to DC a few years ago and went to the Pentagon Memorial. I can't describe the feeling of being there. I didn't know anyone who had been personally affected, but there was a definite feeling of loss.

Screenshot_20200911-154325__01.jpg
FB_IMG_1599853217565.jpg
FB_IMG_1599853161222.jpg
Screenshot_20200911-154305__01.jpg

I remember well...could never forget. My brother used to catch the train to the WTC and walk from there to work...I couldn't get a call through. My mother worked near the Pentagon...also couldn't get her on the phone. I grabbed my keys and headed to DC. Route 29 was deserted from 70 all the way to Georgia Ave. The lanes coming out of DC were packed. I'll never forget the redness and tears on my mother's face when she opened her door. Spent the rest of the day watching and hoping my brother wasn't under the rubble.

He wasn't he had overslept...and this guy never over sleeps. My mother had an appointment and hadn't gone to work. I was very close to loosing the both of them.

I'll never forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.