Which Arp 454-150x For Fox Body?

91BlckGT

Founding Member
May 24, 1999
in a van, down by the river
So I polished up the timing cover and water pump for my 1991 and the bolts are rusty and nasty. I'm trying to figure out which set matches the 5.0 engine, and none seem to match the timing cover bolts. There are 13 bolts I pulled from the car, 4 of which are stud type with double-threaded ends. ARP makes 4 different kits, and I can't figure out which one matches up:

454-1501/2: (one is 12pt and one hex)
xarp_454-1501_001.jpg.pagespeed.ic.SlKL-_GOPM.webp

454-1503/4:
arp_454-1503_001.jpg

Just looking at the pieces, I'd say the 1503 is the right model, but I'm concerned about the lack of studs.

• Sponsors (?)

Well the answer is neither. I checked the length of my bolts against the lengths Summit published on their website, and only 3 of the bolts have the right length. The rest are all off by at least 0.5". A lot of sites acknowledge this, yet ARP still makes them. I have no idea why.

50resto sells a waterpump/timing cover kit specifically made for foxbodys. Make sure you use the 6% discount code that you can find on corral forums. The arp kit from summit racing won't work.

Check out Totally Stainless ( http://shop.totallystainless.com/ ) for the stainless steel water pump studs...

1986-1993 MUSTANG WITH (2) SHORT & (1) LONG STUD BOLT 6-9029 $48.89
They will also have the stainless steel water pump bolts

Here's some help on the bolt lengths...
Copied from Noobz347

Water pump bolt sizes
*All bolts are 5/16"-18

Water pump:
4 bolts - 3 1/4"
2 bolts - 4 1/4"
2 bolts - 1 1/4"
1 bolt - 2 1/4"

Additional timing cover bolts:
2 bolts - 2 1/4"
2 bolts - 2 1/2"

Take a cardboard box, & turn it upside down. Count the number of bolts that hold the water pump on, don’t forget to count the 4 funny looking studs too. Poke a hole in the box for each bolt/stud. Arrange the holes in a circular formation, and mark the box at the 12:00 point. When you remove a water pump bolt, put it in one of the holes in the box according to where it came out of the water pump. When you are done, all bolts will be arranged it the exact same order and position that you removed them from the water pump. That makes re-installing them easy, no wondering where does this bolt go.

Use lots of antiseize on the bolts to protect them from corrosion and make them easier to remove next time.

Thanks! I went with the LMR bolts. Not shiny, but better that I get done, and since I'm pushing $4k at this point on this cam/head swap, another $75 doesn't really matter. :)

jrichker, great idea! Which I would have done that 2 months ago when I pulled the parts of...