Which exhaust with Stock H?

Sick96Stang said:
so I have to have an exhaust to have an opinion on how it sounds? I've heard SLP before in real life and think it sounds like crap are you going to argue with me and tell me that my own opinion of how an exhaust sounds is wrong? I'd really like to see some evidence proving that SLP doesnt sound like obnoxious crap I guarantee you that you cant find any. You know why that is because its an opinion so stop trying to argue with me about my opinion of SLP.

Take a chill pill dude and grow up

• Sponsors (?)

McQuick said:
Which exhaust do you think would be the sound the best with the stock h slp lm I, slp lm II, magnapack, or other? And what midpipes? I dont want it real loud though but louder then stock.

And which exhaust setup will I gain the most hp from?

Thanks
McQuick

McQuick
I run a MRT catted H-pipe with an SLP Loudmouth I catback. Excellent sound and performance, and the fit and finish of both was outstanding. Also no MIL issues to report from installation of the midpipe. When you have the $$, consider getting a flash tuner. They are a great performance enhancer, especially so with automatic-equipped cars.

Wow- I will jump in in greens defense....

You will gain more power from a midpipe...but you need to do the catback first to realize those gains.

You can have the best lungs in the world, but if you have to breath through a straw, you have to breath through a straw.

Mufflers help you to see the bigger gains from the midpipe, thats all....

The stock mufflers will restrict an aftermarket midpipe too much- so you will not see that much power at all-

When doing an exhaust system you ALWAYS start from the back and work your ways forwards

GNN60GT500 said:
Wow- I will jump in in greens defense....

You will gain more power from a midpipe...but you need to do the catback first to realize those gains.

You can have the best lungs in the world, but if you have to breath through a straw, you have to breath through a straw.

Mufflers help you to see the bigger gains from the midpipe, thats all....

The stock mufflers will restrict an aftermarket midpipe too much- so you will not see that much power at all-

When doing an exhaust system you ALWAYS start from the back and work your ways forwards

Sure you will see more gains if you have an aftermarket muffler no doubt but still you will see better gains from getting a mid-pipe with stock catback then you will with getting a catback with stock mid-pipe. Plus using that whole front to back analogy just doesnt work. There are certain parts on your car that restrict more airflow than others. The stock H-pipe restrics more airflow than the stock catback does compared to its aftermarket parts. hence why you would want to go with an aftermarket mid-pipe if you want to see more gains than an aftermarket catback.

I have 2 chamber flowmasters on my 03 and I will be adding a catted X-pipe as soon as the warranty goes out in November.

I had 2 chamber flow and a BBK off road h-pipe on my 98 with 3" echo tips, it was a little loud but it sounded awesome.

Sick96Stang said:
Sure you will see more gains if you have an aftermarket muffler no doubt but still you will see better gains from getting a mid-pipe with stock catback then you will with getting a catback with stock mid-pipe. Plus using that whole front to back analogy just doesnt work. There are certain parts on your car that restrict more airflow than others. The stock H-pipe restrics more airflow than the stock catback does compared to its aftermarket parts. hence why you would want to go with an aftermarket mid-pipe if you want to see more gains than an aftermarket catback.

Actually we have dyno tested quite a few Mustangs in our life-

Maybe I should clarify-

The results I have posted are based on using Magnaflow pieces-

If you use an aftermarket muffler that does not flow so well- such as one of the chambered ones- it is very possible you might see more gains from a quality midpipe such as the Magnaflow- then you would from the chambered muffler

I can tell you though at Magnaflow, based on our extensive testing, the best way to build an exhaust system on the late model Mustangs is to start at the catback and work your way forwards-

So techincally we are both right dependent upon which exhaust pieces you are using-

Brent
Magnaflow Performance

GNN60GT500 said:
Actually we have dyno tested quite a few Mustangs in our life-

Maybe I should clarify-

The results I have posted are based on using Magnaflow pieces-

If you use an aftermarket muffler that does not flow so well- such as one of the chambered ones- it is very possible you might see more gains from a quality midpipe such as the Magnaflow- then you would from the chambered muffler

I can tell you though at Magnaflow, based on our extensive testing, the best way to build an exhaust system on the late model Mustangs is to start at the catback and work your way forwards-

So techincally we are both right dependent upon which exhaust pieces you are using-

Brent
Magnaflow Performance

Do you happen to have any of those dyno graphs still? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything I just dont see any aftermarket muffler producing more horsepower gains than an O/R mid-pipe. From every person I have talked to up until you they have all said that an O/R mid-pipe will produce more gains than any aftermarket muffler will.