Which gear oil & gasket for fox 8.8?

HaynStang

Dec 16, 2006
Portland
Couple easy questions I'm having a tough time finding the answer to...

I'm changing out the axleshafts on my '90 GT. What weight gear oil does my rear axle take? Is there a real benefit to running synthetic? If I use a synthetic, do I still need to use friction modifier (I have heard that you shouldn't)?

Someone mentioned a good rubber gasket for the 8.8 that was available from Ford. Does anyone know what application this gasket is for (year/model), and how much it costs?

• Sponsors (?)

Just use RTV on the cover.

Run a bead on the cover, let it set up 10 mins and then bolt it on.

In fact, when i changed the fluid on my '03 and took the cover off, there was no gasket. It was just RTVed

I typically use something like conventional Valvoline 80-90 gear oil and one small bottle of Ford Friction Modifier. Its worked for 20 years.

I did notice that my 02 Explorer and my 08 Bullitt call for synthetic.

I have never used a gasket on a 7.5 or 8.8 axle, always blue RTV.

I'm the oddball I guess. I use the gaskets (the embossed rubber over metal gasket is nice).

I like synthetics since the fluid stays put for some time. They offer much greater cold flow capabilities, as well as hot protection. Later 8.8's used a heavier weight of synthetic, wihch indicates to me that there was a reason for it.

Remember the FM reduces the coefficient of friction. If your rear end chatters with fresh fluid, you can add it easily. But you can't remove it. The heavier weights of synthetic often don't include FM in the proprietary blend, so adding it can be wise. The lighter weights often do include a FM in the proprietary blend.

Good luck.

Working at a Ford dealership i'll list what the mechanics use :
for the gasket use rtv part number ta-30
for fluid everything is replaced with 75w140 synthetic part number xy-75w140-ql
and yes the guys do put friction modifier in part number xl-3
Other dealerships might do things a little differently but that's what works for us.

I'm the oddball I guess. I use the gaskets (the embossed rubber over metal gasket is nice).

I like synthetics since the fluid stays put for some time. They offer much greater cold flow capabilities, as well as hot protection. Later 8.8's used a heavier weight of synthetic, wihch indicates to me that there was a reason for it.

Remember the FM reduces the coefficient of friction. If your rear end chatters with fresh fluid, you can add it easily. But you can't remove it. The heavier weights of synthetic often don't include FM in the proprietary blend, so adding it can be wise. The lighter weights often do include a FM in the proprietary blend.

Good luck.

Guess I am an oddball too as I run the Ford Racing Rubber Gasket on my Stang!