Which is faster a 2011 5.0 in a manual or automatic trans?

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering.

I heard that the Auto was faster. I found that hard to believe.

In the intial tests I read (forget which Mag) in the straight up 1/4, the Manual with 3.73's was 1-2 tenths faster.

Having said that:

1. that was with the 373 gears
2. that was a PROFESSIONAL driver shifting..so it depends who's driving.
3. When you say "faster" is that top speed or 0-60, or 1/4 :shrug:

The 6-speed auto is dope. I got that one, and with the SCT-3, is supposed to chirp to 4th gear when really getting on it.

You should be asking this question instead:

Which is more fun to drive? A manual or automatic?

Imagine the excitement of sitting there while the car shifts for you! Sure, it may be quicker with a tune, but it's pretty boring to drive around town.

I dont think the word,"boring" and "Mustang 5.0 with 400+hp" can be related in a sentance, regardless of transmission. Unless your regarding it getting boring beating up on everyone else. Even then i disagree.

Haha

It depends a lot on the driver, imo... but generally (all-stock), I'd think the auto would be faster in the 1/4, while the manual would be faster on a road course.

That said, there's lots of other variables to stir around in there, too. ;)

It really depends on how much experience you have with a stick. If you've been doing it for a few years and know your car well, I would imagine a manual still wins. Times are changing though, and auto transmissions are getting better with each generation.

I agree with all the assessments of the Auto verses Stick, however, to me it's just more fun shifting it yourself. I learned to drive on a manual and didn't own and auto until the year before my daughter was born. 13 years later, I got my '11 with a Stick! :D
Both kids said "eww a manual shifter? . . I'll never drive this thing!" to which I replied, "Is that a promise?" :D

Like everyone else has said, it ALL depends on the driver, Stick IMO is def more all around fun to drive, but my auto 06 GT with the Bama 93 Race tune C&L Racer CAI and 410's is a blast to drive......chirping 2nd 3rd 4th and has chirped 5th 2 or 3 times, when the gas tank was really low='s less weight, WOT of coarse.

I can tell you this tho, most bracket racers run automatic trans, for one reason....consistency, yes there are VERY good bracket racers that run manual trans and are consistent, but most run automatics.

As far as which is faster, a PROFESSIONAL driver driving, I would say with either a tuned or non-tuned 11 GT, the manual would probably be a bit quicker in the 1320.