which maf to buy???

noslow5_0

Nov 7, 2003
dallas tx.
i have a 90 with 24#'s injectors along with the usual bolt on's, and my pro-m maf just took a crap on me. As far as i know it has the stock computer in it. Any recommendations for a maf for it?? Its has a gt40 lower, explorer upper, 306, 75 mm throttle body, 24#'s, dart heads, crane roller's, e303 cam, etc....

• Sponsors (?)

I've tried a Pro-M MAM before and was happy. I'm currently using a C&L 76mm unit, and I am also happy with its performance. While some argue the use of sampling tubes and how they "trick" the computer, I have experienced no adverse effects.

well i dont know if mine is still good or not cause i ran the codes before dumping them, an i got a 56 and 66 which both deal with the maf. Then i unhooked the battery over night an started it up took it for a ride an it ran great. I have this problem were it will pop through the intake around 3 grand almost as if its leaning itself out. When it did this last time the car started to surge real bad at idle, so i hoped out an unplugged the maf sensor. CE light came on, but the surging stopped, an so did the popping.... Dont know whats going on, but i think im gonna try pro-m. Has anyone used there little calibrater that they have??? Thanks for the info....

I think you should look further into the cause of the codes. The codes don't necessarily mean the meter is bad and has to be replaced.

Try cleaning the meters wires; lightly with carb cleaner and a Q tip. Don't spray directly on the wires.

ya forgot to mention that i did that, and the other day when i had the whole maf assembly off the car, the top fell off, an it looked like someone had been tampering with it.... When i cleaned it with a q tip i looked into the tube and it looks as if someone tried to bore it out or something with some sand paper. I dont know whats going on with it though. Thanks for the tip though.

new problem... On the way home from work, my car started to surge and do the popping thing that it does every now and then, so i pull over an pop the hood. I unpluged the maf sensor, an then the idle smooths out, and the car runs a lot better. Pluged it back in and then it starts to surge and act crazy again. I unpluged it an drove it home. It ran great minus the CE light on. Does this mean that the maf may be shot?? Someone please help!!!

not since i bought it.... It doesnt have smog pump or any of that on it, but i had mac shorties on it, and as you all may no (not trying to bash mac) the welds tend to blow apart as mine did. There was also the whole for the smog pump off the h pipe that was not plugged up. I fixed all this, an it ran a hell of a lot better, but still not up to par.....

Did you do the smog pump delete? Are you sure it was done right? All Vac and air lines capped?

Unplugging the MAF puts the car in "limp home mode". So something else in the normal computers routine could be broken as well. How are your 02's? Are they new, old, missing, loose? Fuel pressure okay? TPS reading right? Are you sure the MAF is calibrated for 24's?

You said the wiring in the MAF looked like it had been tampered with. I say buy a new MAF or borrow another one cal'd for 24's if you're sure that's what you have. What color are the injectors?

well i didnt do the smog pump delete... As far as the vacum lines i think they are all good, because that was the first thing i checked. Sprayed starter fluid all over em' while the car was runnin to see if it may have made its way inside anywhere... I know there the 24 lbers.... Blue tops i believe. I dont know how many times ive looked at em, but i cant remeber and its dark outside and i really dont feel like lookin right now... I was thinking of trying a stock maf just for kicks, but would it throw the computer that far off with the 24's that it would run worse?? Also i dont think i have a rev limiter set on my computer. I cant remeber were i read, but i heard that the easiest way to get rid of this would be to put in a computer from an auto??? I am wondering if this has been done, or if it might have been chipped, and has adapted to the chip as i have heard of happening also... Thanks for the info and keep it coming.