Which overdrive tranny fits a 66 w/o cutting?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 5.0 and AOD from an '88 Lincoln Mark VII. This is not electric like the later AODEs.

Only had 55k miles, so i didnt fully rebuild the tranny. Just had the local shop check it out, and then added a Transgo valve body, shift kit, and Alto (bands and clutches?).

Ron Morris makes a cross-member for the 65-66 for ~$125. You can buy an adapter for the original gear shifter, but I just went with a B&M ratchet shifter, which i love. The swap also requires that you connect TV linkage from the tranny to the carb, which Lokar makes. Try to get the driveshaft with the transmission, which is stronger than the stock driveshaft. Local dirveline shop will need to shorten and adapt the AOD shaft for your axle.

Theres a few other quirks like the e-brake mount moving, but the bottom line is that you dont have to tunnel out the sheetmetal.

and that 67% reduction in highway RPM is nice enough for me to justify 4.11 gears (2300 at 65 and 2600 at 75)

AODE/4R70W's are 1 in longer than an AOD, because the bell housing is 1 deeper, otherwise the exterior dimension are exactly the same. There are tabs on the body of the trannys that can be trimmed off to give a little extra clearance. Tabs are used to hold the tranny body in the machineng jig during manufacture, useless after that.
Other than tab cuting my 4R70W, has no clearance problems fitting into my 65 2+2. My suggestion for an OD tranny is a 4R70W out of a 99-03 Mustang V-6, with a short AOD tailshaft, and use a T-5 yoke. Heck the wide ratio gear set is worth the swap initself, not to mention all the internal up grades already there, over 16 yearold AOD(last produced in 93)

Yes I'm using a Baumann TCS. Other than using different tailshaft housings(interchangable) and yokes, the AODE & 4R70W are essentially the same tranny. The TCS integrates very well with my EFI. It is compatible with carb too, you need to use a TPS on the carb.
I have recently installed a Moates Quareterhorse into my EFI's CPU, when/if a fordfuelinjection harness for 94-95 ECCIV becomes available, I can simplify, and do away with the TCS, have everything controlled by one Ford computer & gain a fan control too. The Quarterhorse is the part that makes readily useable the 94-95 ECCIV, that was too complex before.
Just like the AOD, the AODE/4R70W,s bell housing is integral. The E4OD truck tranny, is an entirely different unit.

E4OD

What can anybody tell me about the E40D? Will it fit? Does it have lower gearing and is the bell housing bolt on.

A 5speed would be best, but the whole reason for this is that eventually we plan on going back to Japan in the next few years and will more than likely have to leave the car w/ my Mother. I want to make the car drivable and fun for both of us while we are still here. I'm not thrilled w/ the C-4 as it has the early dual range valve body and no OD. However it has been massaged quite a bit and has a 2500-2800 stall speed converter in it (which really I think it doesn't need as the car is street driven several times a week) which really kills the throttle response. Also I would like to ditch the 3.00 ring & pinion for a 4.11 .

Although I guess an AOD would suffice as they are cheap, but I still want to look at all of my options

When considering transmissions, dont forget to factor in gear ratios. The later 90s transmissions often have a lower 1st gear. This could be good or bad depending on what you want to do. Personally, I like my 2.4:1 1st gear and 1.47 2nd gear because the RPM drop is less between shifts. Some people like the 2.95:1 granny-gear. I wanted close ratios, a stock converter with stock stall RPM, OD-lockup, and low 4.11 gears.

If you are building up something, you might want to consider gear swaps. I believe the AOD [or is it the AODE] has the option of using different gear sets. Dont quote me on it, but check into it.