Which sealant to get for diff cover

• Sponsors (?)

i'd loc tite em, but you dont have to, either way tighten them as tight as you can without breakin stuff...i like permatex ultra grey, it sticks better than the orange silicone, my shop teacher swears by it

~Mark~

people think they need to use loctite way more then they do. zap driveshaft bolts with a 3/8 gun jus till it barely stops. then check em with a socket. i do this everytime i pull a driveshaft and have NEVER had a problem.

If the factory felt the need for threadlock, I do too. A few folks have had the bolts start to come loose otherwise. It could really suck to have that happen (think of all the torque on that pinion flange-DS interface).

I'm one of the oddballs who uses a gasket on the rear end cover, as well as a hiar of Copper gasket maker to fill any imperfections.

Good luck.

I use black RTV on the diff cover.

I loc tite my DS bolts. I chased a ever increasing vibration on my 91 and it turned out the DS bolts were coming loose after I changed the clutch. From there on out I always loc tite the bolts.

Super, it sounds like you use better gaskets than the ones I use (mine are 5 dollar Felpros). More info on yours please - I'm always interested in something better.............. :nice:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5958

It's a Ford Racing gasket, part number M-4211-A. Suggested price is actually $9, my bad. Summit has the M-4211-B for $8.88. I paid almost $15 (like $12 or something) from the local stang store. :bang: It's a good quality gasket though, it is almost like a fuel hose, you know, where there's like nylon strands sandwiched in between two layers of rubber.

The gasket that came with my diff cover/main cap support went right in the garbage. the company that made it even said that if you have silicone to use that in place of the gasket. Jus run a nice bead around the cover and smear it on good. put the cover on, tighten it up and let it sit so the silicone cures. use the grey stuff and youll be fine.

If the factory felt the need for threadlock, I do too. A few folks have had the bolts start to come loose otherwise. It could really suck to have that happen (think of all the torque on that pinion flange-DS interface).

I'm one of the oddballs who uses a gasket on the rear end cover, as well as a hiar of Copper gasket maker to fill any imperfections.

Good luck.

X2! The Factory Bolts have Yellow Loc Tite and the Torque is 71-95 Ft. Lbs. and I too use a gasket on my rear Girdle, I just got the Ford Racing version from Summit.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5958

It's a Ford Racing gasket, part number M-4211-A. Suggested price is actually $9, my bad. Summit has the M-4211-B for $8.88. I paid almost $15 (like $12 or something) from the local stang store. :bang: It's a good quality gasket though, it is almost like a fuel hose, you know, where there's like nylon strands sandwiched in between two layers of rubber.

Thanks man. :nice: It sounds like it's intended to be reusable, which means it should be robust.

I've actually had the drive shaft bolts back out while driving.

I was doing about 100 MPH when it happened and it was one of the loudest *bang* noises I've ever heard.

It put a 3" dent in the floorpan of the car. :eek:

From that point on I always use loctite.

It's better to spend the extra 2 dollars and use the loctite than risk having the DS come out.

I'm just sayin',
Alan