which tranny oil?

eeh1025

Nov 22, 2004
hey there i have a 86 gt with a t-5 mannuel tranny im going to change the oil, im just wondering which to get, i can get b&m and lucas stuff locally, or should i get something else like redline or royal purple? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

SNAKEYES86GT said:
Search the threads, man. There have been about 5 threads about this in the past week, including me putting tranny fluid in my 86 gt....TODAY. Use what the engineers who made the goddamn thing used. Dextron Mercron II or III. Peace. :nonono:

Easy buddy. Maybe some people don't know how to use the search. I personally rarely use that function....it kinda sucks.

thanks ill try the redline also how much should i put in like 2 quarts,
thanks guys
also i dont like to use the search because i type in oil and i get stuff about tire and other stuff

'Tranny fluid' would work as a search, if you care to.

I agree with Mav that it is good to ask again - people's opinions change over time. If someone does not wish to reply to a thread, they simply can pass it up, IMHO.

Capacity is about 2.6 quarts. buy 3 and you are good to go.

Good luck.

Killer50stang said:
Sorry to skip in, but how often should you change the T-5 Oil?
it depends. some like to do it once a year, some every couple years. IIRC, the factory fluid was said to not need servicing in normal use, so there is not a specified interval per se.

If i used reg fluid (and note i live in a hot dusty climate), i would change it once a year-two years.

good luck.