Which way does our motor spin normally?

go-stang5.0

Jan 27, 2003
Glenview,Il
Lets say when your sitting in the drivers seat...does the motor spin clockwise or counterclockwise from that point of view? I'm gonna use the starter with a breaker bar held against something like the floor or frame rail to to take off the harmonic balancer bolt. OH...I already took all the rockers and stuff off will the motor spin over or am I gonna blow up the starter cuz all the valves will be shut and the motor is going to be compressing air on every cylinder?

• Sponsors (?)

if you are sitting in the drivers seat the motor would spin couter clock. so that means if you are standing looking at the balancer it spins clock wise. if you need to take off the HB bolt just use a impact with a swivel then you wont have to worry about burning up the starter.

Sleeper stang is correct on the rotation...

I second the impact. Also if you remove the radiator there is more than enough room, i don't like using u-joints with impact wrenches as they tend to break on me. lol.

You'll probably strain the starter but u dont need it to actually spin completely over. Just a tad to loosen the bolt. I did the breaker bar/starter technique once...and it worked like a charm. Just bump it over once or twice and you're good.

not worried about the abusing the starter (just coming apart and making a mess) I have a lifetime warranty on it and still have the recipt. with the heads on the car and all the rockers/pushrods and lifters removed (all valves shut all the time) I shouldent hurt anything right?:shrug: