Whine in Engine Compartment

Helix57

Jun 28, 2020
NC
I have installed a 85 GT motor and entire drivetrain into a 66 Mustang Convertible. I am hearing a loud whine coming from under the hood. Noise is intermitten, come and goes. Mostly when driving, when I slow down to get a better listen it quits. RPM changes have no effect on whine. Have changed power steering pump, rack and pinion. Noise is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Do who did you shut under the hood that is whining about it? :eek:

It’s time for a mechanic’s Stethoscope. (HFT has them if the local parts chain does not.)
Other options include a loooong screwdriver or piece of hose to your ear.
That it does not change with RPM but does with speed sounds more like a transmission or drivelineissue. But vacuum leaks and engine and accessory noises would be a good place to start since it is sounding under the hood.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I shut my cat under the hood...That fcker Whined the entire time the car ran..One day he bounced out from under the car, and on that day .....The whining stopped.

Maybe there’s a cat under your car? :shrug:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Mike, I worry about the friendly neighborhood ninja cat ending up under the hood this time of year. Based on how he reacts to our 4-H show dogs if he follows us into the house, getting stuck under the hood would result in a very loud hiss and yowling. And he would leave claw marks, lots of claw marks, when the starter engaged.
@Helix57 please let us know what you find after you have a listen. We’ll try to be serious when we can help.