Whining Noise

Samplebridge

Nov 19, 2015
So I've recently been getting a whining noise in the car. It's very audible and is speed related. The faster the louder. It does not change with neutral, clutch in, or engine off. I changed the trans fluid and topped off the diff fluid. I ha e no idea what it could be. I thought speedo cable but I read it electronic. Video:

View: https://youtu.be/9X5GX3dOJU0

• Sponsors (?)

So I've recently been getting a whining noise in the car. It's very audible and is speed related. The faster the louder. It does not change with neutral, clutch in, or engine off. I changed the trans fluid and topped off the diff fluid. I ha e no idea what it could be. I thought speedo cable but I read it electronic. Video:

View: https://youtu.be/9X5GX3dOJU0

Your video is private, we can't see (hear) it. I'm guessing you suspect it coming from the transmission? Changing the fluid was a good move, mine also sounded like it was in reverse until I changed the fluid and it has been great since. Since you mention the noise in neutral with clutch in, it's possibly driveline-related. Check the condition of the u-joints, after 20 years one or more set of needle bearings is probably dried out and binding (mine were resulting in a nice shake to match the noise). Wheel bearings may be an issue too. The sound would help if you could make the vid public.

Your video is private, we can't see (hear) it. I'm guessing you suspect it coming from the transmission? Changing the fluid was a good move, mine also sounded like it was in reverse until I changed the fluid and it has been great since. Since you mention the noise in neutral with clutch in, it's possibly driveline-related. Check the condition of the u-joints, after 20 years one or more set of needle bearings is probably dried out and binding (mine were resulting in a nice shake to match the noise). Wheel bearings may be an issue too. The sound would help if you could make the vid public.
I don't think it's a wheel bearing because when I had the car on Jack stands and running I gear the noise came from the center of the car and not any of the wheels. Could the speedo sensor go bad? Also the video is public

Was able to view it now, and the sound is pretty pronounced. I'd suspect something worn in the transmission. You did use ATF right? (Never hurts to ask). It wouldn't hurt to check those u-joints as I'd mentioned especially if they've never been serviced. The VSS is gear-driven, so anything's possible, even if it wouldn't be my first guess. You could remove it, pull off the gear, stick it back in there (just to keep the fluid from leaking out) and see if it helps without too much effort.

Was able to view it now, and the sound is pretty pronounced. I'd suspect something worn in the transmission. You did use ATF right? (Never hurts to ask). It wouldn't hurt to check those u-joints as I'd mentioned especially if they've never been serviced. The VSS is gear-driven, so anything's possible, even if it wouldn't be my first guess. You could remove it, pull off the gear, stick it back in there (just to keep the fluid from leaking out) and see if it helps without too much effort.
I did use ATF. I don't think it's something wearing in the trans because the guy I bought it from swapped if to manual and got it built up. I'll check the Ujoint and gear. I could tell it was a new trans because when I pulled the drain plug the fluid looked better than the stuff I was putting in LOL.

I also don't think it's a Ujoint because it isn't pulsating or clicking. My dad Nissan titan had one and from videos I've seen its dosnt sound like it

From what I hear on YouTube it sounds like a bushing/bearing. On the T5 how many are there and where are they? Since its only spped related could it just be the tailshaft bushing? If so its easy to replace

This thread has some interesting comments on t5 whine: t5 swapped now i have a whining noise | Mustang Forums at StangNet

I guess it's not all that uncommon on built t5's. See if you get it in 4th gear... if it's not there (4th eliminates gear meshing) then that eliminates a lot of bushings / bearings that might be a problem and points to a problem (or not) with the gears.

This video has some serious whining going on:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9u9wsSl3Sc

Poster mentioned the main gear on the countershaft was worn and needed replacement which cured the whine.

As I mentioned I had similar whining until I changed the fluid. I went with a synthetic ATF which quieted things down really nicely.

This thread has some interesting comments on t5 whine: t5 swapped now i have a whining noise | Mustang Forums at StangNet

I guess it's not all that uncommon on built t5's. See if you get it in 4th gear... if it's not there (4th eliminates gear meshing) then that eliminates a lot of bushings / bearings that might be a problem and points to a problem (or not) with the gears.

This video has some serious whining going on:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9u9wsSl3Sc

Poster mentioned the main gear on the countershaft was worn and needed replacement which cured the whine.

As I mentioned I had similar whining until I changed the fluid. I went with a synthetic ATF which quieted things down really nicely.

It's through all 5 gears and sounds like that. I think it's output shaft related since the sound doesn't change with the gear. Just speed

That sounds valid to me. If you're lucky maybe it's just the bushing. You might consider posting your analysis and questions to the parent forum (the SN95 forum is a bit slower and Fox owners have all the same problems).