White Face Gauge Custom Blue LED Install, Please come inside!

derek02gt

Dec 25, 2003
if you want to know what im talking about, check out this thread and scroll towards the bottom and check out 00s281sc368's gauges.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=574338&page=2&highlight=white+face

Anyways I will be attempting this but the first step is to buy some white face gauges. Should I Buy regular White Face Gauges or do I need to get the El-Glow to make this happen? Do the Saleen white face gauges use stock gauge cluster bulb lighting? I assume I would have to purchase the regular one's but you guys let me know. I talked to 00s281sc368 and from what I was told, I will have to solder the blue led into a two-pin type connector and make it snap. I am wondering how many bulbs I will have to replace to light up the cluster as this is the only place in the car where I want the blue led. radio shack sells 2 different ones.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-311

and http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-316

not sure on which to get but My friend that solders all the time will help me with this install. Let me know on the type of gauges to get as Ive read that el-glow does not use the stock bulbs. I can car[ less about el-glow I actually dont like the dim bland color. Whatever makes the blue led lightup is what I want to install, anyone have ideas?.

• Sponsors (?)

Cool project. Just make sure the voltage of the LEDs is compatible with the car. The stock dash lights could be getting as much as 14 volts and those radio shack LEDs are rated at around 3-6 volts. You may have to install something to cut down the volts.

I have Speedhut's White face gauges and the HVAC panel in white also. They light up a sweet blue at night. They dont used the stock bulbs. I also changed out the led's in the rear defrost, trac control, and fog light switchs to blue leds. Doesn't look exactly like that saleen on the inside, but still has that cool blue color to it and it was easy to do. The leds will have to have a resistor on them though to be able to handle the 12-14 volt power from the car.

Silvergto2 said:
I have Speedhut's White face gauges and the HVAC panel in white also. They light up a sweet blue at night. They dont used the stock bulbs. I also changed out the led's in the rear defrost, trac control, and fog light switchs to blue leds. Doesn't look exactly like that saleen on the inside, but still has that cool blue color to it and it was easy to do. The leds will have to have a resistor on them though to be able to handle the 12-14 volt power from the car.

what ohm resister did u use? and what LED? i'm very interested on changing button color

Derek,

Thanks, the blue LED looks like everything but NEON backlight... everyone who sees it loves it !
You can use any blue LED, they all average around 4V junction and 20mA current. That means with your alternator providing up to 14V, you can use any LED at ~20mA using a (14V-4V)/0.02A=500ohm resistor.
So just add a 470ohm resistor in series with any of the blue LED and you'll be fine.

Here is what my pod looks like with blue LED

Alain

dsc01008_copy.jpg

picked up some leds and the resistors..00s281 had told me i need to solder the led to a 2pin header..is the 2pin header the stock white plastic bracket that holds the gauge bulb in? let me know thanks.