Who does SCCA?

I agree with CC67, I ran the final autocross event last year in the novice class and will do the same this year. It will give me a chance to feel the car out and hopefully get better as a driver.
When I can outdrive some of the experienced guys I'll start tinkering with the car.
M/C bar or export brace (both if possible) will help. Best thing would be to watch the fast guys, ask questions, ride with the fast guys (ask before they get strapped in) and memorize the course. That was enough for me the first time!!

Oh yeah, it will become completely addictive after the first run!

• Sponsors (?)

John Z,

I have a 3/4" rear sway bar laying on the side of my house. Took it off as the car was way tooooo loose with it. It was fine when I had pathetic 205 tire and a drag race suspension, but once I gained some front grip with 225 tires the rear sway bar had to go (car really was scary when pushed).

Lman,

Road racing is a blast too. I've done it once. Just don't have the cash to do it nearly as often as I can with auto-x events.
That $175 difference in entry fees goes to upgrading the suspension, lol
Koni adjustable front shocks just went on today :)

Watts set-ups look great but I don't have any comparison either personal or technical. They look interesting though...

I was there last year but spent the day in the park. So I really don't know. This year, I'll be spending Sat. at the park with my family, and the day of the show, I'll be actually attending the activities and checkin out cool cars... :nice:

DarkBuddha said:
Or look at it this way... 10 weekends of fun for $300 or 10 weekends of fun for $3000. I think that math works better for us "common folk".

Well, I measure my fun in actual ontrack time, not the weekend in general. The time spent drinking, sitting on my duff, lying to other drivers is a wash in both cases :D

To each his own. I did autox for a while, just not my cup of tea. As long as you are out enjoying your Mustang in a (relatively) safe manner, that is the key! :nice:

Make no mistake about it.... I'd love to get out on a real road course such as Elkhart. But the
fact is that I just can't afford it. Add to it that I don't have a hauler or trailer. I wouldn't think it would
be wise of me to drive two hours to the track and then have to leave it there because of a mechanical
failure until transportation means came about.

I don't want to turn this into a debate.... but comparing open track events to autocrossing is apples
to battleships. It seperates the have's from the have not's.

If I go out and blow my tranny, engine, or rear end in the first summer event. I'm done for the year
because I just don't have the funds to repair. So in a sense... I'm still taking that chance autocrossing.. but
like I said before... not to the extent open tracking will do.

Besides the fact I really don't want some jackhole losing it in a turn and taking my car out completely. I'm
not sure what kind of insurances you can obtain that will cover your butt if you total your car while racing.
None I'd imagine.

Also.. it's real drivers challenge to autocross ten different courses as opposed to the same course or two over and over.

just my two cents... :)

Alright... we all agree that both auto-x and road racing is fun. Both require a lot more skill than drag racing (can I get an amen!)

Let's not debate the two very enjoyable events any more :)

I'm heavily into the autocross bit as well... (been to SCCA Nationals 3 yrs now and trophied last year, whoop!!! changing from an uncompetitive car to a competitive one rocks).

my setup on my '67 fastback is pretty close to 2bav8s:

shelby drop
"620" lb front coils
1 1/8" front bar
factory front disc brakes
TCP rack and pinion (manual - not the best choice!)
225/50/16s

subframe connectors

4 1/2 leaf springs
"shelby" underrider bars
versaille's discs
245/50/16s

KYBs all around

overall a good setup. i don't recommend the underrider style of traction bar as it puts a lot of bind into the rear suspension which can lead to... interesting handling characteristics when it binds. i would recommend a panhard bar or 3-link/torque arm setup if you got the coin.

number one thing we see with novice autocrossers in Houston - KEEP TRYING. don't get discouraged if you aren't winning after your first few events. it takes time and lots and lots of practice!

number two - don't go to race tires for at least 6months-1yr (running monthly events that is). you'll pick up a lot of bad habits if you do.

have fun! :nice:

manual is very tough in fast transistions and makes it kinda hard to catch the car quickly when you get out of shape. i've almost broken fingers trying to man handle the wheel before at high speed. having a proper seat a 4pt harnesses would help a lot in this dept though as your upper body isn't moving so much as it does with just 3pts.

you can adapt overtime and be fast (silly fast too), but it's a whole lot easier to go fast in a car with powersteering.

I have been wanting to do this as well. I am in the process of building the car, next up is wheels and tires with Baer brakes all around. Then the drivetrain (engine, trans and rear.) I did the suspension and it drives awsome on the street. I ordered a complete kit from mustangs unlimited. The "shelby drop" really improved the handling along with the 620 springs and KYBs. I went with 4leaf mideyes, which bring the rear down a little. The Mach came with competition suspension so I kept the factory sway bar I believe its 1" and upgraded the bushings. I will also look into subframe connectors and once I do the engine bay over I'll get the monte carlo bar with export brace. Damn, I thought I was making progress, after everything I just wrote I still got alot more to do.