Who is using Recaros/Corbeaus/etc?

65shlbycln

Founding Member
Aug 24, 2002
Atlanta
I hate the '70 highbacks in my fastback.

1) They're too tall. My head sinks into the headliner when i sit up.
2) I slide ALL OVER when i'm driving... I have to literally plant my hand on the door to keep myself from sliding around. They're not bolstered at all...It sucks so bad.
3) I bounce all over. when i hit a bump, the car remains pretty solid, but i bounce all over on the seat and ram my head into the roof.
4) I want 4 point harnesses...

I drove an Audi A4 today with a recaro and it felt really comfortable. So i want to get racing seats.

Preferably Recaros or Sparcos or Corbeaus.

Is there anything that costs less than 300 per seat that's really good? I dont want leather. I'd looove to have ones with white suede inserts and black fabric around the bolsters.

Does anybody make stuff like this?

Also, if you have pics, please post them up!!! And show me how you connected up your harnesses. You can hook them up to the seatbelts in the back seat right? Ive seen this done on other cars...

• Sponsors (?)

I know mustang plus has some pics on there site of high back seats. I looked int he back of my summit catalog the other day and say that they had seats that resembled the Corbeau Targa RS seats. They were $200 each I think. Not a bad price!

allcarfan said:
I know mustang plus has some pics on there site of high back seats. I looked int he back of my summit catalog the other day and say that they had seats that resembled the Corbeau Targa RS seats. They were $200 each I think. Not a bad price!

i bought those seats... not bad at all. you do have to adjust the tilt by cranking a round thing on the side but other than that pretty nice.

there was a slight problem though because of my hieght. i'm 6'1 1/2 and i put those seats in where the other holes were and i was too close and my butt wouldn;t fit between the steering wheel and the side of seats. what i had to do is cut my floor seat pan. the hump that sits on the floor i sliced that in half in hieght then opened it. from there i dropped the seat pan inside of the other one and lowered it 2". fits nice now! :D

65shlbycln said:
Yeah, there are classic looking seats, but i want the modern look.

in that case, I've sat in Corbeaus, and they were pretty comfortable. When I had my 88 LX 5.0, I swapped in seats from a Turbo SVO, and they were very nice, with adjustable thigh bolsters and lumbar support.

My bud's got the corbeau CR-1's in his turbo 97 gt. Let me tell you, the four point seat belts will keep your ass planted, no two ways about it. Either you're in and you can't slide around or you're not buckled in. I want to get the red ones in leather ($435 a seat...ouch!) from streetortrack.com, but that'll be a ways down the road. I'm sure others are way cheaper and are probably just as good, but I've developed a love for the corbeaus. Just going around corners, while shifting is so much easier when you dont have to stiffen up to hold yourself on the stock seats. They get my vote.

i have 86 gt buckets in mine and they are very comfortable, i beleive they were actually made by recaro or flo-fit most likely, you can get them pretty cheap if you look for them. also the 79 indy pace cars had recaros as standard equipmenti beleive

We sell the Corbeau seats, everyone seems to like the fit in the early Mustangs. If you extra tall or long waisted you may need to lower you seat pans as well. The seat pan project can be done in one afternoon, not to hard of a job.

I've got Corbeau A4's from Streetortrack and a 4 point harness. The seat you choose should be based on the recommended waist width, they have wide options available on some models. I got some that are just right for my body, probably should've gotten the wide version for the passenger because some larger people complained. Anyways, They hold you very firmly in place especailly the ones with the high kidney and shoulder supports and a harness, you're really locked in. Also because of the odd shape they are surprising comfortable, had a passenger fall asleep on a road trip.
here's a pic, more on my website.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/213000-213999/213657_132_full.jpg

bnickel said:
i have 86 gt buckets in mine and they are very comfortable, i beleive they were actually made by recaro or flo-fit most likely, you can get them pretty cheap if you look for them. also the 79 indy pace cars had recaros as standard equipmenti beleive

I think the seats I snagged out of the 84 SVO were made by Flo Fit.

I've been looking at seats for a while. Ebay has thousands of them for sale every day. Problem will be shipping charges.

Seat Search
Click refine and select what region you are in. If you pick them up locally it will save you big time.

$435 a seat...ouch!
You may want to read that again. $435 is the leather upgrade per seat. Add that to the regular seat price then double it for two. Now it really hurts.

Hehehe, whoops. Dammit I knew it was too good to be true. I was typing from memory, but I guess I read it wrong the first time I checked there. Yea that would hurt quite a bit. Ok, so for the record it's $435 for a leather upgrade on top of the $399 per seat (cr1). Methinks my stock seats will do for now:D