Who's changed a steering box before?

• Sponsors (?)

Which Mustang are you talking about? In the 68 its not too bad, unbolt the rag joint, unbolt pitman are, use pitman arm puller to seperate the joint, unbolt the box from the frame. Wiggle loose. Rinse Wash Repeat on the new one.

It was pretty easy to change the gearbox on my 73 and the steps are as TampaStang described except I seperated the pitmin arm from the center link and removed the gearbox from the car with the pitman arm still attatched. I removed that later by removing the nut holding it on the steering arm and then using a pitman arm puller.

Be sure to mark the orentation of the pitman arm to the old box with it turned all the way to one side, or lock. You should also mark and make note of the position of the rag joint deal on the gearbox before you remove it. That way you can get those items on the new box in close to the same relative position as they were on the old box.

Have fun!

It was pretty easy to change the gearbox on my 73 and the steps are as TampaStang described except I seperated the pitmin arm from the center link and removed the gearbox from the car with the pitman arm still attatched. I removed that later by removing the nut holding it on the steering arm and then using a pitman arm puller.

Be sure to mark the orentation of the pitman arm to the old box with it turned all the way to one side, or lock. You should also mark and make note of the position of the rag joint deal on the gearbox before you remove it. That way you can get those items on the new box in close to the same relative position as they were on the old box.

Have fun!

On the 66 you'll have to take the steering wheel off and do the other steps the others said cept for the rag joint., then. jack up the car and pull the gear box out thru the bottom til the steering shaft clears the column. Be a good time also to switch columns to a later model with a rag joint, if you ever get into a head on collision, it just might save your life.

I had a hell of a time getting my SMB-J long shaft box out of my 67. After pulling the wheel and column I had to pull the driver side header, the engine crossmember, and jack the engine up about an inch and pull the driver side motor mount. After all of that I still couldn't get the box out.

God bless the Sawzall :nice:

Chris