Who's Converted their 2.3 to Manual Steering?

Hey guys,

I think I've got a blown power steering rack in my '87 2.3 n/a. If I've got to replace the rack, I'm considering converting it to manual steering b/c I hate the over-assisted feel of the power steering on these cars. I've got a few questions for those who've done this already:

1. I've found some manual racks at a few parts stores, but they specify a 9/16" input shaft whereas the power racks have a 1/2" input shaft. If I go to a manual rack with the smaller diameter input shaft, will I need to also replace the steering shaft to fit it?

2. How have you guys set up the serpentine belt with the alternator? The stock tensioner won't work without the power steering pump in place.

3. My wife drives the car and is concerned that the steering effort will be too high for her. I know this could be an issue on a V8 car with fat front tires, but I'm thinking the effort will still be manageable with the lighter 4-cyl engine and modest width (185-195) front tires. What do you think?

Thanks for any input guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I converted my 82. I happened to find a Mustang rack at a FFW, complete with tie rods.

It bolted in perfectly. You do need to get a new rack coupler for the intermediate shaft.

The 82 is a 5.0 with skinnies, and I think the steering effort is no problem.

Just my $.02.

Same, found a manual rack off a 79 carb turbo coupe. Bought it, ahd it rebuilt and put it on my 86 LX I used to have.

Had a devil of a time getting that adpter that goes on the steering shaft.

I had P225/60HR-14's all around car on 15x8 wheels and M-5500-B springs, Monroe struts.

Car felt like a sports car and handled great while moving. Thought I was gonna dislocate both shoulders out trying to parallel park.

Had a devil of a time getting that adpter that goes on the steering shaft.
Where did you end up finding one?

Car felt like a sports car and handled great while moving. Thought I was gonna dislocate both shoulders out trying to parallel park.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for me but my wife wouldn't like that.

What tire size was stock for the aero body 2.3 N/As?

I know it's not apples to apples, but my SVO doesn't feel over-assisted at all. In fact not assisted enough because the rack has a sticking valve that makes it a manual until it pops free. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what size was stock, but mine has 205's on the original 14" steel wheels.

On my '90 GT I've got 240's up front and even with the weight of a 5.0 over the wheels the steering still feels overassisted to me. The first time I got behind the wheel of this 2.3 with the smaller tires and lighter front end, I wondered if the steering wheel was even connected to anything!

I know the 2.3 LX's came with the non-sport rack (more turns lock-to-lock). I wonder if I swapped in a power sport rack if it would feel a little better? Does anyone know if this is a straight swap, or does it require changing additional parts besides just the rack?

Thanks for the replies so far!

Well, my SVO has 225s and the funky 1984-only variable ratio TRW rack. My '89 GT had the sport rack and 225s also and a very similar feel. It was light, but not "disconnected" feeling.

If you don't have the sport rack right now, getting one will probably make a good difference. I replaced the stock quick-ratio rack in my '89 GT with a standard rack and it steered like a truck afterward. Not hard at all, but very slow.