Why do local parts stores look at a T/B stud and instantly get confused?

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
Why do local parts stores look at a T/B stud and instantly get confused?

I'm now trying a cap bolt to replace the double ended studs in my elbow. I went to Oreillys, Autozone, and heck even Lowes. No one has seen that bolt before, nor do they know where I can get a replacement.

Anyone find one locally? Got a part number?

• Sponsors (?)

not trying to be a wise ass, but local u-pull-it is easiest. otherwise stay away from morons at advanced, autozone, oriely etc... check with napa or carquest. they deal with comercial accounts primarily. mostly parts pro's. very few 5.15/hr monkeys. or if you do go to those other places talk to the comercial guys. all of them have one or two guys that deal with local garages and business only. they tend to know more **** than the others. how do i know this, my moron technician breaks something like a tb stud at least once a week and I have to have my good tech fix it after I spend an hour or two traking down the part

Looks like: 390591-S8 is the part number to me. Is that correct?

I ended up having a different problem. I thought I had one that was slightly bent. Turned out to be the new t/b was a bit off on the holes. :bang: I ran a drill through each hole to go one size bigger. Worked great. So it's on the car and back on the mean streets.

They are 5/16-18 threaded studs. If you install 2 nuts on one of the studs, and back one stud out of the TB, you can measure the length and make some calls from the phone book. I know for a fact that they are 5/16-18 thread and even a good ace hardware should have something that will work. If they are too long, you may have to install a nut, cut it to length, then use the nut to clean the threads. They also may be coarse thread on one side and fine on the other, which means you just need fine threaded nuts. I bought studs (5/16) for my lower and upper intake manifold so that the gasket would stay in place and ease installation.

You should be able to find the exact one at a hardware supply store. Especially one that supplies other businesses/industries in the area. We have one in my town by my work that has tons of studs. One plus is that they are very cheap because they sell at wholesale prices.
Scott

Oreilly's had course and fine studs. Ours is course at both ends. I was just going to convert to the fine on the end for the nuts, but wouldn't you know it. No one had the fine nut with a shoulder on it. Trying to put a washer on the bottom stud just over the valve cover would be a PITA. I ended up making the original studs work. I don't think it was a bent stud. (IF it's bent it's barely bent) I did some comparison test with the old T/B gasket and the new one. The holes were off just a tad. I went to the next size drill bit and ran them through the T/B. Worked great.