Why does the AOD shift so low??

• Sponsors (?)

The AOD isn't controlled by the computer, but rather by the governor and the valve body.
It's a combination of things, some of which can be modified to some degree. Baumann's shift kit can modify the shift points somewhat, and their website explains some things about the governor also.

fox racer said:
thats a mix of the sluggish AOD and no gears lol. if you plan on stickin with an auto.. hit up 410's a converter and shift kit... or c4 :D or convert to 5 speed and get 373's.

Yeah I dunno why I didnt say that. Your sluggishness isnt b/c of the motor, its gears/trans.

Foxfan88 said:
Also when it gets ready to shift it sounds like the motor is getting ready to explode....
am i just not used to v8s yet?

Get a nice shift kit or valve body and the AOD will shift much quicker and a lot crisper. Also get a trans cooler, the biggest one you can get in there.
I have a Transgo shift kit and I like it. I know that some guys have had problems with shifting into OD at full throttle but I didn't put the Hi-Rev kit part in and mine doesn't shift into OD at WOT.

Gears, converter, shift kit and trans cooler and it will feel like a completely different car.

If i change valve bodies i wont need a shift kit right?
Will auto/manual valve body give me to ability to hold ALL 3 gears?
is the AOD even worth the time to invest in??? Will it poop out on me later?

My AOD shifts at exactly the redline in every gear if I'm at WOT.. I haven't touched a thing to make it do this, so I'm thinking maybe you have an adjustment or something you can make if you want. I haven't played with the AOD much, but I am pretty sure there's a cable you can adjust.

I'm about to put a shift kit in mine.. and frankly I don't know why I waited so long. I put one in a 79 dodge warlock pickup and wow.. what a friggen difference it made... I hope this does the same to my stang. And ditto on recommending the tranny cooler.. every auto should have one.. supposedly can double the life of the tranny.

I have a 90 GT and the AOD is shot. Wont' up or down shift worth a damn, and the overdrive bands are screaming. I'm investing in a Lentech auto, a little pricey, but everyone I've talked to, said well worth the money.
If you are going to stay AOD, spend the money, you'll be glad you did.

I smoked the OD band on my AOD a few weeks ago. 1-3 are fine and shift normally but if I make a mistake and put it in OD on that list shift all you get is a revving engine. I guess that would make in just A instead of an AOD :D

macx said:
The AOD isn't controlled by the computer, but rather by the governor and the valve body.
Baumann's shift kit can modify the shift points somewhat, and their website explains some things about the governor also.

Yes, the AODE/4R70W is controlled by the comp, not the AOD. I sure am glad you posted this. I have been having a lot of trouble (shudder shudder) with the 4R70W in my '95 F-150 and I think Baumann can help.

If anybody is interested Baumann says that the '95 and later AODE/4R70W tranny out of trucks is an excellant high performance tranny. With just a few mods it can handle up to 500 horsepower. Their prices are right too.

http://www.becontrols.com/index.htm

The AOD is supposed to shift low. You need a shift kit or valve body + governor to change how the AOD "thinks". The AOD is a passenger car tranny and not a sportscar tranny. It was added to give the mustangs an automatic option.

YES

Stick with it. People will tell you to go C4. If you do that, you'll be pulling 3K rpm on the highway barely going 55mph with any decent gears. Invest in your AOD and beef it up and keep that .67 OD so you can get agressive gears and still be able to go places with it.

You might want to tighten up the TV cable. Tricks the AOD into thinking you're at much higher throttle than you really are and hence it stays in gear rather than shifting.

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

You have type 2 block type. Those are the official instructions. It's much easier if you just do the following:

A regular adjustment is basically zero slack with the throttle closed and zero remaining cable travel with throttle wide open. Give it a tiny bit more tug and you will get more agressive shifting.

It's opposite your throttle cable on the throttle body paddle.

Just got my DOA (oops, AOD) rebuilt. Had ALTO red clutches, Fairbanks A+ servo, and a Bauman shift kit installed. It shifts crisp now. Stock shift was at 4800 per factory spec, now its 5200 with the mildest of settings on the shift kit. the converter is a quality rebuild of a T-bird SC unit, raising the stall to 2200. Would suggest the larger OD servo and better clutches as a minimum on a rebuild of any AOD. This makes for a good daily driver trans, with a little extra fun and very little extra hashness.

If your looking for easy daily driver for lots of traffic an AOD is hard to beat, but otherwise I would say go stick