why not bosch platinums?

• Sponsors (?)

Spark Energy

The short version of this: Copper wire transfers electricity better than platinum.

Since the pre '96 cars use a distributor & remote coil setip to transfer electrical energy to the spark plug you want to provide the "path of least resistance." The copper plugs provide better spark and thus..... more burn which equals more power. Using 'standard' plugs isn't bad. They work just the same, you just have to change them a little more.

Now, if you have a 'coild on plug' ignition setup then that is a different story. Shorter electrical path => means less voltage drop and resisitance so you can use a Platinum plug if you want to.

Best thing to use (for me) has been the regular old motorcraft plug. Some guys here run the Champion plugs, but their engines have more work done to them than my little stocker...

i am running the bosch +4 in my 4.7L Durango which has coil on plugs and it runs fine no problem, i never ran the bosch in the mustang but i do run the Autolites which is the same thing as Motorcrafts

Platinums also suck because they have an itty bitty pin electrode surrounded by ceramic. They foul real real easy. With the coppers, you have a huge (well, relative to the platinum) electrode. It takes quite a bit of gunk to foul those plugs.

Plus.... I dont know about you good folks, but I always buy 10-12 plugs when replacing mine as I break at least 2 during install and usually another one later on while working in the bay. If you break a 99 cent plug, whatever. If you break a $5 or $7 plug, thats a different story. I'm running 99 cent ford explorer champions side gapped (40-p's take a different plug). I let the 1200 MJ ignition system make the fat spark.

Damn. Never broke a plug in my life. I switched back from the Bosch Platnum plug to the Autolite. Both car and truck run better. The way I understand it is that Bosch has a one size fits all philosophy when it comes to heat ranges. They generally run to hot for the 5.0. I noticed a three mile per gallon increase in my truck after I switched.

Regular plugs come out at an angle and are thus out of the way when you have nice sparse stock manifolds. Once you move to equal shorty headers, you start breaking plugs. Then you switch to gt-40p's that have the plugs sticking straight out, require special headers and you are breaking quite a few plugs. My favorite is the platinum+4. Any gimmick will sell these days. Now you have 4 electrodes shrouding the spark only 1 of which gets the spark anyways and since they are all thin, most of those burn away sooner.