• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Why steal valve stem caps?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dusstbuster
  • Start date Start date Oct 3, 2006

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
1,462
33
64
Moorhead, Minnesota
Oct 3, 2006
#1
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #1
Why is it that people steal valve stem caps? I mean......you can't sell them and make a profit, and it's not really that big of a vadalism type ordeal. Is their life that lame that they want to commit some sort of crime/vandalism, but nothing overly major, so they decide to steal some aluminum cap off someones wheels? If you're going to vandalize a car why wouldn't you just light it on fire or key it or something that would actually hurt the owners wallet a little more?

Granted i'm happy thats all that they took, but I mean honestly...get a frickin life or grow some and make your efforts worthwhile..jeez people..because if I found out who stole my stem caps i'd treat them exactly like i'd treat someone if I caught them keying my car or anything else. I'd make them wish they'd never been born.

Anyone know of a good online store to buy caps at? I don't want the black ones, i'd prefer machined aluminum to match the wheels...
 
B

bluextc

New Member
Feb 12, 2006
99
1
0
South Jersey
Oct 3, 2006
#2
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #2
I think someone stole one of mine, too, cause it's gone but I just have the cheap black plastic ones, so no big deal I guess.
 

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Oct 3, 2006
#3
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #3
When I was 12 or 13 I knew someone who took those things like it was their job. Never understood why... pretty gay though.

Chances are its some kid that just grew his first pube and has to feel like a little bad ass, so he goes and steals $2 worth of shiny metal.
 

speedfreak98r

Banned
Jan 31, 2006
0
0
0
Houston Area
Oct 3, 2006
#4
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #4
BurningRubber said:
When I was 12 or 13 I knew someone who took those things like it was their job. Never understood why... pretty gay though.

Chances are its some kid that just grew his first pube and has to feel like a little bad ass, so he goes and steals $2 worth of shiny metal.
Click to expand...
+1
I had some "friends" that did that when they were around that age..I never understood why either..Weird.
 

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
1,462
33
64
Moorhead, Minnesota
Oct 3, 2006
#5
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #5
Well i'm thinking in my case it was someone closer to the ages 18-21 being as it was parked in the campus lot. I guess some people truely never do grow up.
 

Henceforward

The Avatar Master
Founding Member
Jul 17, 2001
485
0
0
Oct 3, 2006
#6
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #6
1. Valvestem caps
2. ...
3. Profit

 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
Oct 3, 2006
#7
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #7
BurningRubber said:
When I was 12 or 13 I knew someone who took those things like it was their job. Never understood why... pretty gay though.

Chances are its some kid that just grew his first pube and has to feel like a little bad ass, so he goes and steals $2 worth of shiny metal.
Click to expand...
I had a friend who did that. Had like 50 of them in a Crown Royal sack in his room. I told him he needed professional help. Same reason he later bought a Honda...
 

4point6

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
61
0
0
Twin Cities, MN
Oct 3, 2006
#8
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #8
I'd rather them take the valve caps than do something major like keying...now those are the dumbasses i can't stand! especially cause I'm worrying about it now that I park at school, and there are a lot of dumb people.

Vandalizing someone else's property FTL.
 

DTNODYA

Member
Dec 15, 2005
831
1
16
Oct 3, 2006
#9
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #9
Dusstbuster said:
Anyone know of a good online store to buy caps at? I don't want the black ones, i'd prefer machined aluminum to match the wheels...
Click to expand...

My brother got me some nice ones a few years back that have the Ford emblem in the middle and they are aluminum. They came with this keychain (also aluminum) with a oval cutout that you are supposed to put over the caps to tighten them where someone can't just come turn them off. It works too! I mean someone could bust out some wrenches or whatever but yeah ... I'll take a picture and if you like them, I can ask him where he got em' if you want ...
 

Kurgan

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2001
3,028
1
58
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Oct 3, 2006
#10
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #10
A lot of times the fancy shiny valve stem caps get stolen by kids who want them on their bicycles.
 

H What 4.6

New Member
Jul 29, 2005
56
0
0
Oct 3, 2006
#11
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #11
know two kids who did that when i was like 12 too... it was also like a hobby for them who could get more and nicer ones... they gave me two for my bike to so i was pretty happy...never did it myself though....
 

stangGT97

New Member
Dec 22, 2004
1,299
1
0
Boston area, MA
Oct 3, 2006
#12
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #12
Well I bought my valve stems from Discount Tire direct... they came with the aluminum caps, and were very inexpensive
 

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
1,462
33
64
Moorhead, Minnesota
Oct 3, 2006
#13
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #13
Here is a picture of the caps I had on them previously and would prefer to have again, I've contacted the ebay member that I bought the wheels from and hopefully he'll be able to tell me more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tune...QitemZ290034574741QQtcZphoto#ebayphotohosting
 

DTNODYA

Member
Dec 15, 2005
831
1
16
Oct 3, 2006
#14
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #14
So you want more of a chrome look ... Regardless, here's a pic of the ones I have (picture of one on my toolbox)

 

Attachments

  • pa030008ye8.th.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 253

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
1,462
33
64
Moorhead, Minnesota
Oct 3, 2006
#15
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #15
DTNODYA said:
So you want more of a chrome look ... Regardless, here's a pic of the ones I have (picture of one on my toolbox)

Click to expand...

Yeah i'd prefer one without the emblem or anything like that on it. The originals just had something about them that was "there" and yet it looked great with the wheels. Now it's just ugly I think with the rims and then goldish valves sitting there.
 

Attachments

  • pa030008ye8.th.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 247

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,058
224
Massachusetts
Oct 3, 2006
#16
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #16
I stole them when i was kid. Granted I was 10-12 years old back then and didn't know any better. Me and my friends used to take them and put em on our bikes. It was a treat when you found some chrome ones, but once in a while we'd score some dice or 8-balls or something unique

Little did I know you can go to Autozone and buy all different ones for $5. The chrome caps i have now are from AZ.


I used to have a sweet set of Mustang caps. They had the running pony tri-bar logo. ANyway i put them on and then went to the movies later that night. I parked next to a V6 Mustang. I came out two hours later, the V6 Mustang is gone and so are all my caps. $15 and they lasted 4 hours on the car!!!

I'd buy another set, but they will prob get stolen again QUICK!
 

5.0's 4 ever

The #1 Stunna
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2000
5,794
0
76
Orlando, FL
Oct 3, 2006
#17
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #17
Henceforward said:
1. Valvestem caps
2. ...
3. Profit

Click to expand...

LOL That had my dieing

Anyways back when I was kid it was cool to have chrome valve stem caps on your bmx bike, so like the dumb kid I was I took two off a bmw.
 

Shiroelex

There's nothing worse than aut
Founding Member
Aug 23, 2001
728
1
27
Westland, MI
Oct 3, 2006
#18
  • Oct 3, 2006
  • #18
I think like 5 people in my area had them when I was a kid. They would move from bike to bike, to cars, to bikes again. I remember seeing a few different cars at my school with 4 different caps on them. I had a buddy that was convinced that the caps with the little dots on the top of them had alarms on them!

Only reason my caps are still on, is because the damn things are seized on there!
 
G

GirlzGT

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
4
0
0
Western New York
Oct 4, 2006
#19
  • Oct 4, 2006
  • #19
i was going to say...
The kids around here dubbed them as "chromies"....which they steal to put on their bikes. They got my stang once before....
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
351
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
Progress Thread Family member 1989 GT- Backstory and updates
  • JRC99
  • Apr 19, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 26, 2025
JRC99
J
C
For Sale FOR SALE ENTIRE CAR
  • cptcrunch93
  • Jun 13, 2023
  • SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04)
Replies
2
Views
2K
SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) Jun 13, 2023
cptcrunch93
C
SN Mustang Magnum T56 swap
  • revhead347
  • May 24, 2024
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
15
Views
7K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 28, 2026
GearHeadGuy
Planned Cross Country Run - 65 Fastback
  • Smokinstang65
  • Aug 17, 2021
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
4K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Feb 27, 2022
Baron von K 289
B
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?