Exhaust Wideband Oxygen Sensors Help Needed

OneSick99GT

Nov 20, 2018
Dayton, Ohio
I have a 99 Mustang GT. I'm looking to replace my oxygen sensors. I'm assuming since I have dual exhaust I will need 2 wideband oxygen sensors. What brand should I buy and do these just plug and go to the existing oxygen sensors or will I need to do some welding and eliminate the others.

I've read that bosch are good. And I was probably going to get the autometer Wideband kit to install on my dash. I'm wondering if the wideband sensor is good in this kit.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/phantom-ii-airfuel-analog.html

And why wouldn't you want to install a gauge for each wideband on each exhaust to better monitor your airflow. Wouldn't this help to see if your having spark/fuel delivery problems from each bank on the motor at all times.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

They are Bosch brand and they are narrow band sensors, not wideband.

Pick up a set of OEM replacements at a parts store near you. :)

You have 2x upstream O2 sensors and 2x downstream O2 sensors:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...44,exhaust+&+emission,oxygen+(o2)+sensor,5132

1545223578221.png

Noobz,
Did you not understand my questions? I appreciate the diagram but my question was about wideband not the OEM oxygen sensors that are narrowband. And American muscle says that kit is wideband so why wouldn't it be. They shouldn't be narrow band. Back to my questions. Do I need to purchase 2 oxygen sensors and 2 wideband sensors then? And if I do which brand should I go with?

What brand should I buy and do these just plug and go to the existing oxygen sensors or will I need to do some welding and eliminate the others?

I've read that bosch are good. And I was probably going to get the autometer Wideband kit to install on my dash. I'm wondering if the wideband sensor is good in this kit? I'm assuming it is since it is bosch

https://www.americanmuscle.com/phantom-ii-airfuel-analog.html

And why wouldn't you want to install a gauge for each wideband on each exhaust to better monitor your airflow. Wouldn't this help to see if your having spark/fuel delivery problems from each bank on the motor at all times?

Did you not understand my questions? I appreciate the diagram but my question was about wideband not the OEM oxygen sensors that are narrowband.

I have a 99 Mustang GT. I'm looking to replace my oxygen sensors.

You said "replace" sensors. You cannot "replace" your sensors with wideband sensors without converting the signals from each of 4 sensors to a narrow band signal that the EEC can understand.

Adding wideband capability means drilling an additional hole or holes into your existing exhaust and installing a bung or bungs capable of accepting wideband sensors. The alternative is to replace a single narrow band sensor with a wideband sensor and convert just that one signal to feed the EEC but it's not recommended.

Gauges are pretty and all but the ability to data-log is what widebands are really for. Moreover, you're not just going to wire that gauge into a wideband sensor and make it work.

In addition that gauge you posted a link to, you will need something to feed it. Like an Innovate LM-2 or similar system: https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php

The analog 5 Volt output on the LM-2 is what you would use to feed the gauge or any other Air/Fuel Ratio gauge. It's a pretty light show.

Do you understand the question? :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
Perfect! You answered everything. So I only need to purchase 1 Wideband to weld into my upstream exhaust (PS) from what I've been told to datalog correctly. But can still put a gauge inside my car. My upstreams and downstream can be left alone. I just have to install the wideband nearby in my upstream.

Perfect! You answered everything. So I only need to purchase 1 Wideband to weld into my upstream exhaust (PS) from what I've been told to datalog correctly. But can still put a gauge inside my car. My upstreams and downstream can be left alone. I just have to install the wideband nearby in my upstream.

Now your questions make more sense. :D

Yes. You can install a single bung and wideband sensor. Something similar to the Innovate unit I showed you above is what converts that signal into usable data and can then be shot to: Whatever, including gauges.

Wherever you place it in the exhaust stream should be forward of any catalytic converters and clocked in a manner that prevents water in the exhaust from hitting the sensor (1 - 3 O'clock or 9 - 11 O'clock generally; in relation to the ground).

It should also be wired in such a way that the heating element is energized [before] the engine starts.

Now your questions make more sense. :D

Yes. You can install a single bung and wideband sensor. Something similar to the Innovate unit I showed you above is what converts that signal into usable data and can then be shot to: Whatever, including gauges.

Wherever you place it in the exhaust stream should be forward of any catalytic converters and clocked in a manner that prevents water in the exhaust from hitting the sensor (1 - 3 O'clock or 9 - 11 O'clock generally; in relation to the ground).

It should also be wired in such a way that the heating element is energized [before] the engine starts.

Yeah I have a complete installation guide from American muscle on how to install one. Everything you said is in that installation guide to a T. It has me wiring it into the dimmer switch so when I turn the key it has power before start.