Wierd noise from rear end...Need help!

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
Ok a couple weeks ago I noticed my rear driver-side brake was sticking and it was getting really hot. Like touching the rim would almost burn you. Well I got that fixed, but now theres a noise that kinda sounds like the gears whining while going straight down the road. Here's the wierd part, I make a left turn and it stops, make a right turn and it really howls. Any suggestions? I have 3.73's installed, but they havn't made any noise for almost 2 years.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like you might have a stuck caliper? other than that, maybe your diff. is starting to go bad, which ISN'T the gears, it's the locker part. You would either have to rebuild it or buy a new locker. Comes from launching hard a lot, lol :banana:

Actually it was the bracket that the caliper bolts to that was froze up.

I just had the rearend completely rebuilt last feb(2003), but I have noticed the diff seems to be slipping at times. Im gonna change gears again and upgrade the axle's and diff sometime after I get the 418 installed. Probably this spring. All I need is for it to last until winter when I park the car and start on the engine.

you have a limited slip diff. when you turn, the diff transfers more power to the inside wheel. like when you turn left it transfers more power to the left rear wheel because it has more weight on it so it gets better traction. so thats y when you turn one way it stops and the other way it howls. get your diff checked out.