Wierd noise from the engine

94_5.0

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2002
Jacksonville, NC
I have done a search of the forums and can not find anyhting that resembles my problem or the solution, so here goes the question. I have a slight whine from the engine bay when I start the car and when I am running it at all for that fact. I know it is not the tranny because that whine is a lot louder(yes I have the famed T5 whine too). It just started up the other day. I looked in the engine bay and everything this is in place nothing rubbing or our of place. Does anyone know what it could be?

• Sponsors (?)

Rootus said:
Power steering pump perhaps. Ford PS pumps are famous for whining. If you don't already have one, grab a stethoscope -- it's great for pinpointing mechanical sounds.

Dave
ditto, the bad thing about it is, you can go buy a brand new one from the dealer, and it may whine as soon as you put it in too. Check the fluid.
Brandon

I don't know if this is your problem, but a couple of years ago I had a whine that would come and go. It would get louder when I accelerated, like very loud.

When the car was running, I wiggled the distributor cap and the sound would change pitch. I replaced the cap and rotor, but the whine was still there, next I suspected the distributor. I bought a reman distributor ($125 at Autozone) and when I went to put it in, I found that the old distributor was loose and had actually pushed it's way up slightly from the block, and that was probably why it would whine. I replaced it with the reman one and the whine was gone. I don't know if I could have simply re-seated and used the old distributor, I just replaced it with a new one since I was at 110,000 miles anyway.

Ill second the bad dizzy theory.ive had a few stockers go south and they will eminate a whine sound.you shoud be able to hear it if you stand and hold the throttle from the front of the car.94 95s are famous for their garbage dizzys.

Well I have not driven the car in 3 weeks now when I start up the car and push in the clutch it makes a harsh noise. Now I did replace the
Throwout bearing when I put in my new SPEC cluctch so I hope that is not the problem. Please any sugestions whould be greatly apprecated.

I say you found your noise?? You shouldn't be getting that noise from the clutch being pushed in...somethings wack right there....
Dont Spec clutches require a break in period or something like that???