Engine Will a newer TFI coil work in a Duraspark II system

I am an old Chevy guy and I would have loved using an HEI system but, the HEI interfered with the stock Air cleaner......
This link uses your stock Duraspark distributor.
“Here is the DS distributor running a GM 4 wire ignition module. Now you get modern electronics (same as the $$$ HEI Distr has) that are available in every parts store.”

• Sponsors (?)

I want to thank everyone for the time spent trying to lurn me here.....
Why can't I use the E coil with my stock duraspark system, keeping the resistor wire??

I want to thank everyone for the time spent trying to lurn me here.....
Why can't I use the E coil with my stock duraspark system, keeping the resistor wire??
Since you asked,
Ignition coils are transformers.
If the input volts are off, the output volts will also be off. The current will also be less, as watts in is close to watts out. (watts = amps X volts) So you’ll have a weaker spark. Driving a transformer (coil) st a higher voltage than designed for an extended period will lead to heat build up and failure.
But running at a lower power input might extend coil life, or poorer ignition system.

Before you try it, compare the input resistance of the flat EFI coil with the round Duraspark coil you are replacing. If the resistance is less on the flat coil, it might overload the other primary circuit ignition components. Based on that train of thought, a flat coil of less resistance might not be a good idea with or without the resistor wire, and a higher resistance flat coil might not put out enough spark with the resistor wire.
Experiment with your eyes open or whatever saying you want.

Reactions: 1 user
motorcraft E coil.jpg

So to sum up things here I found my old coil ( I plan on buying a new one) and installed it in the bracket and physically held it up where the newer TFI coil would go... Actually might not look too bad and maybe keep things "simple" which is good for me.. After all I am just a deplorable....
Installing a newer different sized brake booster, so I need to get that installed to make sure what room I have, including air intakes for the air cleaner...... Wiring comes first, so it will be a while.... Good news is my MM order that's been BO for 5 weeks was shipped yesterday, So when it gets here can put my front end together and see how my 5 lug upgrade decisions workout....... well, at least for the front suspension.......
DSCF1093.JPG

Thanks all for the help......

Last edited: