will a worn rag joint make the car "wander"?

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
i have changed the ball joints, urethane control arm bushings, shocks and struts, bought bumpsteer kit, urethane sway bar bushings and links, urethane center bolt rack bushings, new tires, and numerous aligments (with mm camber plates) and my car has always wandered even when it was ALL stock!!! :bang: think it could be the rag joint? theres alittle play in the steering and when i drive, is that it? the wheel doesent wobble like a bus steering wheel but it has a slight play. do i need a new car? my friends 99gt runs perfect even after a 2" drop and no aligment!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

The rag joint should NOT create wandering. The rack is what aligns the two wheels together. If you had the wheels pointed straight ahead and disconnected the steering shaft at the rack, the car would (or should) drive straight ahead.

You might have an alignment issue, a bad radial, etc. Do an internet search on Trammeling and see if that sounds possible.

Good luck.

94TURBO5 O said:
If you can turn your steering wheel 2" from side to side w/o the wheels moving at all then it's prob the rag joint.
I'm not sure what you mean by wandering?
by wandering i mean it wants to go everywhre on the road, not straight almost seems like a bumpsteer issue but it isnt if that makes sense

JR, I was thinking that if the car did not wander, he it would not matter if his steering wheel was even attached. The car should track straight. His having to correct (or overcorrect perhaps) exacerbates the symptoms perhaps, but he should not need to correct in the first place.

I was still leaning toward a tire issue, trammeling, or bad caster settings.

juiced_94gt said:
front tires are 245 40 18 bidgstone potenza reo40 <~~(something like that) run flats...by the way i just noticed on my last aligment my camber plates are set to all negatice CASTER...should i give it some more?

Looks like a few people have an issue with these tires tramlining.

Reviews from tirerack.com:

"...They do tend to wander on grooved, worn, or rutted pavement... " -- Review Submitted 2005-06-14 (Audi A4)

"Tramrailing was a significant problem, especially in the city where the roads are less than perfect. These tires are VERY stiff, they will transmit every bump right up to you...this is particularly a problem if you drive on beat up city roads. Cold weather makes them stiffer and almost unbearable to drive on. " -- Review Submitted 2005-04-30 (Mazda RX-8)

I had similar issue with my car. My rag joint was sloppy and when I drove on rodes, especially the asphalt rodes with tire trails (ruts) on the road (probably not a good description) it would fling to either side and I had to turn the steering wheel the opposite direction of the pull. To make a long story short, I purchase a Flaming River steering shaft and no longer had the problem and the steering was 200% more responsive than the stock steering shaft. Just One Man's Opninion. Peace.

Where are u guys getting the new steering racks from? How much are you paying? How much is another rag joint? I dont know much about how the steering works so i dont even know exactly where the rag joint is actually at.

I had to take apart the steering column to install my headers and ever since the steering wheel has had the 2" play in it like mentioned above. I hate it.

Nate, rag joint = universal (swivel) joints on the steering shaft. You know exactly what they are now, right (I am sure you do)? :D

On the fox, I used a parts store reman'd rack. It was 100 bucks. I just had to be careful because there were 4 different styles/ratios of racks offered that year, and the reman'd racks dont often really differentiate those subtleties. The part-number for the fox rack was under where the steering shaft hooks into the rack. I was able to tell from that, that I had a Ford Quick ratio rack (not TRW, which was also offered). Not sure if SN's have so many variants.

Good luck.

Yeah im interested in this too. My car has been similar for a while now where it wants to go all over the place on the freeway. Im like constantly correcting it. I have 17x9 in rims in the front with 255/45R17s in the front. My dads 2002 GT steers so smooth and never wanders or pulls like mine does. I mean his 02 only has 10k miles on it and im nearing 130k so maybe thats why, but if you get a fix make a post about it, cause i want to know.