will i pass an nyc state inspetion with a sct tune?

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know about you, but in CT I had an SCT tune, but I reverted it to stock. Then I totally forgot about the computer not cycling thru the tests and drove it to the emmissions station, where I failed :(

the guy told me to drive it for 50 miles and come back, I drove it around for like an hour and the codes never went away. and I wanted to put my car into storage. it was late october when i did this. I went home, flashed the computer with the SCT tune and went back to the emmisions station where I passed. then I drove the car to the place where I store it.

about 2 weeks later DMV called me and wanted to know if I chipped the car because I passed the second test within 2 hours. I said yea but all the parts on my car are street legal and I have cats. they wanted to come out and inspect my car, I told them it was in storage on the other side of the state, and the person told me ok just next year make sure your car is stock because you will defintely fail with new CT rules next year. (which I dont really believe)

next year I am gonna try to take my car with the tune installed, and if I fail, I guess I will put the stock tune back on, and really drive the snot out of it to clear the codes

I think there was a discussion about this here a while back and what it comes down to is that unless the smog shop has a very high end scan tool they will never know that the car has a aftermarket tune. Honestly I wouldnt worry about it next time.

I'll update this thread in a month or 2 because my NYS inspection is up then.

I believe it should be fine... As long as the readiness montiors are good to go... And they will be becasue tha car has no codes stored in memory and all of the emissons stuff is functioning properly...