Will not start using the key

VTGT91

Jan 4, 2007
So I am working on getting my car back together and I have run into an issue that I can't figure out. The car will not start using the key, I have to manually start the car with a direct jump from the battery to the starter. When I do that the car starts fine, but when I turn the key nothing happens (other than the fuel pump cutting on). What could this be?

I've looked over the wiring diagrams and it seems that there is very few things that can actually prevent the car starting from the key. The ignition switch, but if that was bad would the fuel pump still run with the key turned on? And then the clutch pedal position switch. It wasn't broken when i took the car apart but I can't see how it would go back since then.

Any help would be great, would love to finish up this project soon.

• Sponsors (?)

What exactly have you done to the car? Tear the motor down and build it back up? My guess would be something with the Pats system as it can hinder alot. When I was swapping out clusters I had to disable pats with my tuner.

a 96 doesn't have PATS does it? and even then it wouldn't run by jumping the starter to the battery would it?

the first thing I would check is the clutch position switch and any associated fuses or relays

Good point lol. I didn't see the tiny 96 in the sig. It would help the OP though to post more info about the car/what was done and why for those with knowledge to help.

I apologize for not posting the info about what was done. Alright the the motor was completely removed and rebuilt, at the same time doing a complete PI swap. The entire engine compartment wiring harnesses were removed and rewrapped.

I also have done an interior swap on the car. It originally was black and tan leather and I have swapped it to all black cloth, including the entire dash. So the dash was out of the car. I have gone through all the harnesses and have ensured that everything is plugged in correctly. It just wont start with the key.

The 96-98 MY Mustang does have PATS. For this MY, PATS works by disabling the starter. This results in a "no crank" symptom. So this could be a PATS issue.

Turn the key on but do not crank. Make note of what the theft light does? Does it go out after a 3 second prove out? What about after that?

Start by pulling the starter relay in the engine bay. Test terminal 85 (W/PK) for +12 volts with the key in the "start" position. The results of this test will determine where to look next.

If no voltage, the problem is upstream in the safeties or ignition switch.

If you need copies of the Ford workshop manual, wiring diagrams, and PCM manual for your car, I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

Reactions: 1 user